If you want to support a real American hero.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Doesn't that strike you as a bit STUPID.

Secondarily that means one should just shun joining neighborhood watches if it means you must give up your constitutional rights to participate.

btw: What defines a neighborhood watch 2 guys verbally agreeing to watch the neighborhood or is it a legal entity of sorts with rules by laws etc etc.

See what I'm getting at here: One could have a legit CC but all of a sudden you are classified by the powers that be you are now part of a NHW program and are under arrest for a weapons charge.

Think about the stupidity and potential abuses this law entails for use by our rabid anti-gun crowd.

#11     Apr 10, 2012
  2. Wallet

Wallet

+1

Nor do they understand that in most circumstances it's best left in it's holster.

#12     Apr 10, 2012
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I still have trouble with the idea that when I lived in Maryland and purchased a pistol, I had to fill out a ton of forms, watch instruction videos, and wait for 14 days while all sorts of fed agencies ran background checks.

But when I bought my AR-15 with a scope from the SAME STORE it was cash and carry, no background check.

#13     Apr 10, 2012
  4. Obama travels to Florida later on Tuesday

woo hoo!.....:cool:

Ya think reoprters are going to ask him about the Buffett rule?

#14     Apr 10, 2012
  5. Actually I think the govt should skip this silly ineffective buffett rule and nationalize Berkshire Hathaway.

That would solve the problem buffett complains about and generate far more federal revenue than the proposed law.

#15     Apr 10, 2012
  6. Regarding Neighborhood Watch and concealed carry, I haven't looked it up but what i recall was that the national NW program has a rule against carrying while on watch. This is far different from an actual law.

I can see why they would have such a rule. They are afraid of civil liability in this type of case. I can see arguments on both sides. If you are not carrying, there is no temptation to pull your gun in a tense situation. On the ohter hand, I wouldn't want to be out there in a dodgy neighborhood at night by myself with nothing.

#16     Apr 10, 2012
  7. Fair enough, I apologize.

But back to the subject at hand. I can't say I've seen if there is a law in florida that (illegally) prohibits neighborhood watch volunteers from carrying a weapon, but I do know that Zimmerman was the self appointed captain of an unregistered neighborhood watch program. Since it was unregistered, he had every right to carry a weapon and the laws that you say he broke, no longer apply to him in this case.

And Yes, I think you do have a right to bear arms and walk down to times square with an m-16 over your shoulder.

#17     Apr 10, 2012
  8. George Zimmerman's attorneys withdraw from Trayvon Martin case.

"Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig said at a news conference outside the Seminole County Courthhouse in Sanford, Fla., that they heard that Zimmerman on Tuesday had contacted a special prosecutor who will decide whether or not to press charges against him, against their advice.

They said they have not talked to Zimmerman, whose location is not known, in person in at least two days but in the past had spoken with him over the phone. “We can’t represent him unless he comes forward and asks us,” Uhrig said.

"We have a pretty good idea where he (Zimmerman) is," Uhrig said, but added that Zimmerman is not answering the phone.

The attorneys also expressed concern about Zimmerman's "emotional and physical safety" and said they have reservations about a website Zimmerman set up to solicit money for help in his defense.

The attorneys for George Zimmerman, Hal Uhrig, foreground, and Craig Sonner at a news conference on Tuesday.

"Him setting up his own web site is fine," Sonner said. "I wish he would have told me.”
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...orneys-withdraw-from-trayvon-martin-case?lite

#18     Apr 10, 2012
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I sent $20 this morning. I'll send more if there are any charges.

#19     Apr 10, 2012
  10. "When special prosecutors asked Zimmerman if he had lawyers, he said he only had legal advisers, not a lawyer, according to Uhrig and Sonner.

“I’m not sure what the distinction is, but in his mind there’s a distinction,” Uhrig said.

According to CNN, Zimmerman was told by the special prosecutor’s office that he should have legal council present if he was going to speak to them.

The lawyers also said Zimmerman had directly contacted the Sean Hannity show on Fox News without their consent or knowledge.

“George called Sean Hannity of Fox News off the record and he was unwilling to tell us what was said,” Uhrig said.

Hannity has also declined to say what was said during the conversation."

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/04/10/george-zimmermans-attorneys-withdraw-from-case/

#20     Apr 10, 2012