If You Trade Using Moving Averages, How?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easymon1, Jul 30, 2020.

1. If price is trending along with the moving average, then it can help determine trade direction.

If price is going above and below them, then ignore them and trade the ranges.

#51     Nov 25, 2021
  2. Dr_Trade

Dr_Trade

upload_2021-11-25_15-21-26.png

Strong sell volume candles at cross over.

#52     Nov 25, 2021
  3. easymon1

easymon1

Being a 4 hour chart, the example may tend to exaggerate the vol/MA Cross correlation if occurs during main session.
    These three worked fine on Low relative Vol on 1 minute charts.
    Have you collected stats on MA Cross success rates vs With and Without Expanded Volume?

delete ma vol.png

#53     Nov 26, 2021
  4. Moving averages can be thought of as "automatic trendlines". That's how I use them if I do. If the trend lines are flat, then the trend is flat and you range trade. If sloped, then you can use mean reversion + levels + volume to see if there will be a trend continuation. Don't use a 5 minute EMA to make decisions on a weekly timeframe.

#54     Nov 26, 2021
    murray t turtle and tomorton like this.
  5. easymon1

easymon1

Being a 4 hour chart, your example may tend to exaggerate the vol/MA Cross correlation if occurs during main session.
    These three on the RTY worked fine on Low relative Vol on 1 minute charts.
    Doc, Have you collected stats on MA Cross success rates vs With and Without Expanded Volume?

#55     Nov 26, 2021
    Dr_Trade likes this.
  6. Dr_Trade

Dr_Trade

Thanks @easymon1, I will try to collect data on this and finding some correlation, will share that.

#56     Nov 29, 2021
  7. Plot a couple of moving averages on a chart instead of one. I personally use three moving averages at different positions and take a signal only when there’s a strong directional bias.

#57     Nov 30, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. easymon1

easymon1

What timeframe charts do you like to trade?

#58     Nov 30, 2021
  9. %%
    Good.
    Some charts, for example take a 50day moving average;
    +auto apply that to 50week ma.......... I prefer those auto trendlines, avoids any trader/investor bias.

#59     Dec 2, 2021
  10. Right, and you can trade _with_ the moving average from the most part or if your chart doesn't show a strong trend with the MA, find another chart.

#60     Dec 2, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.