If You Trade Using Moving Averages, How?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easymon1, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Pkay

Pkay

"I'd go to the 15 minute chart and if they were also aligned, I would buy/sell when price interacted with the 34 moving average."

Do you mind expanding on this please? Specifically when you say price interacted with the 34 MA?

#41     Aug 10, 2020
  2. easymon1

easymon1

Steve uses 8-EMA, 50, 200-MA
    Signal review and EOD chart calls from April 29th, 2021.
    How have Steve's calls fared? (Two to Ten Day Holds)
    https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/

cued ...

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    #42     May 21, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. easymon1

easymon1

4. maxinger

maxinger

If I trade using moving average,

then I wouldn't be able to trade at all.

I remembered 40 years ago, I manually plotted
    moving average line on the graph paper.
    Every evening, I'd use the calculator and calculate the MA.
    I could only plot MA5.

CANNOT PLOT MA 10, MA20, MA100, MA200 .... !!! It would be hell plotting it !!!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    #44     Nov 16, 2021
  5. easymon1

easymon1

6. The analysis depends on the duration of the moving average period. Usually, the period of 21 days is used to analyze the trend using a moving average. The larger the indicator setting, the longer the period it analyzes the trend and provides a more reliable analysis. If you reduce the duration of the analysis, the results can be inaccurate and provide false signals.

#46     Nov 18, 2021
  7. %%
    I see your points;
    but using a 50 or 55.................. day moving average with discretion, seldom gives false signals. Cross overs may give plenty of false signals, especially on smaller time frames.

#47     Nov 19, 2021
    oraclewizard77 and Dr_Trade like this.
  8. Dr_Trade

Dr_Trade

I always try to find best confirmation to cross over and so for that I see volume candles too, what you see for making your prediction more assuring?

#48     Nov 23, 2021
  9. %%
    Moving average crossovers are so hated, so lagging/no wonder they can still work well;
    50 or 55dma + 200 day movin' average can still work well. I sold my QLD this month well before it crossed 50 or 55 dma.
    Planned on selling my UDOW[ smaller than QLD position]but it's doing better than i thought , so i may may not sell it @ all. DEC 1st tend to be a bit weak on dow, so i'll have to wait + see......[Edit/ Best thing about about 50/55dma/200dma they help profits run + run, maybe not in SEPTember, but November/December/Jan...........................................................]

#49     Nov 23, 2021
  10. easymon1

easymon1

Could you post up a chart image or two of this method?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    #50     Nov 23, 2021