If You Trade Using Moving Averages, How?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easymon1, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Tradex

Tradex

Here is a Bollinger bands backtest :
    https://decodingmarkets.com/backtesting-bollinger-bands/

As you can see it returns 5.54% a year on average, about half the return of a simple buy and hold approach (using the S&P500 as a benchmark).

The trader should never take any indicator or trading idea for granted, he must backtest it first.

#11     Jul 30, 2020
    andre.salmeron likes this.
  2. Tradex

Tradex

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    #12     Jul 30, 2020
  3. ph1l

ph1l

The document doesn't show a test for simple moving averages but does claim (surprise surprise) his moving average is the best among several other nonlinear moving averages.
    upload_2020-7-30_16-48-56.png

upload_2020-7-30_16-49-58.png

#13     Jul 30, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  4. Tradex

Tradex

Yep, the old "Coke is better than Pepsi" routine, LOL :D
    Still an interesting study though, thanks again.

#14     Jul 30, 2020
  5. panzerman

panzerman

Ehlers is a bona fide DSP engineer. The material he presents is backed by solid science and engineering. As always, a caveat, anything from the world of physics applied to finance is or could be a misapplication of the physics. Still, better than Elliot Wave!

#15     Jul 30, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  6. Tradex

Tradex

Absolutely, good point!

#16     Jul 30, 2020
  7. I absolutely agree with you.

What I am saying is that moving averages work much better when you replace them with Bollinger Bands, that is, the average itself + X standard deviations. How you turn these into a trading system is a whole other deal and yes, back testing is essential. In the study you quoted, I honestly can't wrap my head around trading on a daily chart using a 5-period Bollinger Band. Daily charts imply longer maturation periods, which are not compatible with such a small average, which in turn implies some heavy volatility in terms of results.

You simply can't beat long-term results by making several short-term trades, which have much higher liquidity. It's just how the statistics work, risk is always proportional to return, liquidity, maturity and volatility. Not sure if I am making sense, I tend to post here after a few drinks.

#17     Jul 31, 2020
    drunnels likes this.
  8. Peter8519

Peter8519

Just do a simple experiment. But need a charting system with daily data and a screening script. Run a scan for events that a stock can stay above a moving average in days. The scan results should have a long list of ticker symbols with number of days. Sort this list and do a frequency plot(count number of 1s, 2s, 3s and so on). You will notice not many can stay above a moving average for too long. Patient pays.

#18     Aug 2, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  9. Tradex

Tradex

That's why markets do not trend 70% of the time or so.
    Good post, Peter.

#19     Aug 2, 2020
    Peter8519 likes this.
  10. drunnels

drunnels

Yeah. I slap BB on my Heikin-Ashi candlesticks and trade the reversals off the bottom band and the midpt (20dma). And doing this on a weekly chart blasts the faster/shorter charts. I sometimes trade the daily or intraday charts as well if I'm bored, but nothing beats longer term performance and with little input from me, the huge metric is profit/effort.

#20     Aug 2, 2020
    andre.salmeron likes this.