If you trade, this is all you really need

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by paulxx, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Seriously, this man has his priorities straight!:D

#21     Aug 10, 2009
  2. paulxx,

Do you think it's worth it to set up Guard Exceptions in Avira AntiVir.

I'm thinking set "File objects to be omitted for the Guard": Add the directory your trading app uses for database.

Also perhaps set "Processes to be ommitted for the Guard": Add the .exe for your trading app.

I'm assuming there is a trade-off between the added overhead on Avira to handle the Guard Exceptions vs a more efficient Guard.

thanks,
    cT

#22     Oct 2, 2009
  3. paulxx

paulxx

Sorry Charlie - I haven't checked back here for a while. Probably you no longer need an answer.....

For the benefit of others anyway - I would say just leave the settings as standard.

One more thing, the only downside of Avira Free is the occasional popup. I'm attaching a fix for that - I'm sure you already know the premium version is available. Just double click the .reg file inside and OK etc.

#23     Dec 8, 2009
  4. Thanks paulxx. Do you have any thoughts about dealing with Windows Automatic Updates? I like to turn it off on Sunday nights and restart it on Friday afternoons with the option "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". I like to read them over before committing to them.

Do you know of an automated way to accomplish this? A script or a utility or something like that. Or event the win32 api calls.

thanks,
    cT

#24     Dec 9, 2009
  5. paulxx

paulxx

Charlie,

The only thing about Windows Updates is when they start installing in the middle of trading, causing the system to hesitate, slow down and then maybe demand a restart.

You can do as you have mentioned, or you can go to Start and then either Run (for XP) or use the Vista/Win7 search box, and enter "services.msc"

You will find Automatic Updates or Windows Updates listed there and you can click on the entry to disable and stop the service. Put it on "Automatic" again once in a while so you can manually check for updates.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 then be sure to at the same time disable the Windows Search service. That makes a big difference especially on Vista where it hogs your disk all the time.

I'll try to check in here more often, if anyone has anything else to ask. I have shifted all my computers over to Windows 7 from XP Pro by the way - it's a lot better than Vista, but needs a few tweaks.

#25     Feb 3, 2010
  6. I understand how to "manually" disable automatic updates. I was hoping there might be a script or utility program that would do it automatically. That is: via a script or program, on Sunday night, disable automatic updates and on Friday night, enable automatic updates but enable it in the mode that allows the user to view the update before committing to it.

#26     Feb 3, 2010
  7. paulxx

paulxx

Ok,

If you go to this site, they have preset ".reg" files and custom registry tools for various services of the various Windows versions:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/customREG.htm

You can easily create a reg file with only Updates disabled and a default reg file with updates enabled.

One click on a reg file to turn on - one click on the other to turn off.

For Windows XP, I've attached it for you - click the UpdateOFF.reg file and Updates will be off next time you restart. If Updates are already off, just click the UpdatesON.reg file and then manually check for updates to start the service.

#27     Feb 4, 2010
  8. paulxx

paulxx

P.S. I've checked and the above registry files should work with any flavour of Windows inc Win 7, 32 or 64 bit.

#28     Feb 7, 2010

9. I never have my automatic update running because I have Windows Defender installed. The automatic updates are seamless i.e. no cpu hesitations. I don't even know when the updates are occurring.

I use Windows Defender and Avira Free Antivirus. I also work thru a wifi router and have windows firewall turned on. All this is all I have ever needed. I run the Windows Defender and Avira Full Scanners at the end of every week and that's it. No problems.

And oh, occasionally I run my system restore to an earlier restore point if my computer starts doing any thing out of the ordinary during the week.

Signed,
    Still an XP user

#29     Feb 7, 2010
  10. Very nice suggestions.

I agree. We should be very careful when clicking links. It is advisable to just type the url on the browser, instead of clicking it.

#30     Feb 8, 2010