If you trade, this is all you really need

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by paulxx, Jun 13, 2009.

1. fhl

fhl

What do you think about eset's online virus scan?

#11     Jul 4, 2009
  2. mxjones

mxjones

These threads always crack me up. First, I don't know what you guys do to get a virus. I have not had a virus on my computer since 2001 (right after 9/11), and I am reasonably sure it is something my wife did. I don't even have virus software on my machine. Once a quarter I do an online virus scan (Trend Micro). I have Spybot installed and run it every few days. That's it. No more.

I trade on a laptop. And I surf the net on that same laptop (gasp). I use a direct access broker and have my trading software loaded on that same laptop...along with iTunes! And I do my analysis and my research on that same laptop. I have no UPS. I keep the battery charged, and have one backup battery.

I have high-speed Internet - one source. What is my backup? My cell phone. If something happens and I am in positions (which has been once in the past 5 years), I call my broker and close out everything (I only trade intra-day). Other than that, my backup Internet is at Starbucks which takes me less than 5 minutes to get to via car.

Oh, and I am profitable. I have been doing this since the late 90s.

I highly suggest you guys focus on getting profitable and don't worry about everything else - ie, getting three computers, 20 UPSs, 5 Internet connections. All of that doesn't mean crap if you are losing money every day. Stop worrying about the stupid stuff and focus on the only thing that matters - making money.

#12     Jul 4, 2009
  3. EliteEd

EliteEd

One more small suggestion. Have a wired keyboard as a backup for your desktops. I have run into situation where I could not boot up normally, and was sent to the DOS set up screen. Wireless keyboard was non functional. F1 or F2 keys did not work. Had to plug in wired keyboard to correct boot up settings.

#13     Jul 8, 2009
  4. paulxx

paulxx

FHL, Sorry for late reply, I haven't checked ET in a few days...

Eset NOD is one of the better and leaner paid antiviruses, I believe. But still, last time I checked Antivir was leaner (uses maybe 10 MB of memory, one or two background processes), free, and has the best detection rates. Don't worry about email scanning, in fact, it is better not to have a special email scanner a virus attachment is just another file and would be detected anyway.

I partly agree also with the other guy who doesn't use an antivirus at all. The reason he gets away with it probably is that he just uses the computer for trading and nothing else. That's a good idea but my advice is aimed at people who want to use their main computer for other things also, like I do.

#14     Jul 10, 2009
  5. fhl

fhl

Hey, thanx for responding. My real question was about esets online virus scan, though. I think it's similar to trend micro's online scan. Do you think it's safe to let your computer be scanned online, as they both seem to be reputable companies?

#15     Jul 10, 2009
  6. This is really the best post here and I am computer pro. The only other things I would mention:

1) If you sometimes get poor internet service, work on connecting the computer to your cell phone or get a cell phone card as a backup. Use your cell phone to call the broker to kill the trade if you are unable to get out of it normally.

2) Backup your important data files that you don't want to lose if your hard drive fails. If you don't have alot of files, you can get a cheap thumb drive or else get an usb external hard drive.

#16     Jul 15, 2009
  7. I wonder how many prop firms would hire a computer pro who says they don't need any av to run their computer systems. lol

#17     Jul 20, 2009
  8. I did not say not to run antivirus, but you need to run one that does not slow down the system, also if you are ONLY using the computer for trading and nothing else, you probably don't need anti-virus. I use my computer for more than trading, and I have not gotten a virus on it, also I was offered a job at a prop firm but currently trade futures so I don't need the leverage right now.

#18     Jul 20, 2009
  9. My UPS no longer works, PC shut down a few times on power cuts, Maxxtro. Some unknow POS maker I found at the local stores here.
    Manual says I should replace the battery . Any suggestion ?
    a fix or better maker (the ones typically soldin the US aren't available here).

#19     Jul 20, 2009
  10. Beg to differ with a few of you.

Two laptops are sufficient. Every 12-18 months buy one new one and decommision the oldest.

Have one total backup install in VMware on a USB key with up-to-date VMplayer install software. If PC can handle it then make the VMware environment your primary trading environment.

Maintain the trading data in both environments.

Use Acronis for making a partition image but do this from a cold boot, not from inside windows. Use FAT32 for the backup partitions and only NTFS for the partition with your OS / software. (if you loose power the NTFS may not be readable, FAT32 can be salvaged because it has two file allocation tables and often one survives).

Offsite backups, preferably on DVD and store your sensitive data in an encrypted container (use truecrypt, no license fees, no fancy activation, works at least on Linux and Windows, possible a host of others too, have not looked in ages) Do not trust older DVD backups: have found at times > 2 years old DVD's to be unreadable.

When M$N patches become available restore backup, update and make new backup. By the way: in this manner we have run without any real time anti- whatever for the past 10 years. (famous last words?) Do not rely only on a backup on HDD / external HDD: if your machine does become infected then it may well infect your backups too. If you suspect anything nasty then restore from DVD and then run some online scan (e.g. Kaspersky, Antivir) before restoring from HDD your latest backup / data.

This procedure was developped based on bitter experience.

Maria

#20     Jul 24, 2009