If you never went to college, what's the best job to have now?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by garchbrooks, Mar 20, 2010.

1. smrj

smrj

#81     Apr 25, 2010
  2. mynd66

mynd66

I was one of those that didn't really know what I wanted to do. I dropped out of college not only because I just didn't find much interest in anything but I also just couldn't keep my eyes open. I enjoyed working with my hands and got jobs in construction. When I was 25 I got into the nyc ironworkers union. I graduated at the top of my apprentice class after winning a bi-annual competition in welding, climbing, tying knots... etc which helped to get my name out there. I'm 29 now and I made 85k last year despite the fact that 100s of men were out of work and I probably missed around 2 months total for the year... the first time I was ever involuntarily out of work. The year before I made 105k.

I'm not doing it for the money, this is where I am because this is what I wanted. Sure its hard work and not to mention like the 4th or 5th dangerous job but its rewarding to me. I own a two family house in north NJ as of '08 and I'm going to be looking for another in late '11.

I also weld various projects in my garage and my plan is to see what I have to do to go into business for myself. I talk with different business owners and see how things work, how to bid on jobs, what the price of steel is, what does insurance cost, who are the competition... etc.

Why am I on this site? I've been facinated in trading for 3 years now. I lost about 4-5k so far. Thats when I put trading on hold. I have since been learing about options, reading different books on finance and economics. Over a year ago I took a night class in my community college in economics because 'I wanted to' as opposed to 'feeling like I should'. Suprisingly I didn't fall asleep and A'ced it. I'm not sure that i'll ever make money trading but that doesn't discourage me. I know I will never financially wreck myself but I am none the less very facinated by how it all works and I love reading and learning about these things. And I can relate this, more so economics, to my line of work and it seems all relative.

#82     Apr 27, 2010