If you never went to college, what's the best job to have now?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by garchbrooks, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Humpy

Humpy

Sorry sounds a bit rude
    Re-reading the above wasn't meant to imply you are any of those but just that IF you are a bit short of a high flyer and poor then the busking idea is a possibility
    Could lead to a musical career

#51     Mar 23, 2010
  2. Beg to differ. Music requires a lot of talent and time, you don't just go from obese and retarded to competent musician overnight, or even in 10 years.

Idea behind the thread is what to do in order to make money while having zero skills. And if you're retarded, there are companies that hire retarded people exclusively to do manual labor.

Air traffic controller was the best suggestion I've seen on the list so far, ... at least in my opinion.

#52     Mar 23, 2010
  3. Mnphats

Mnphats

Plumber.

If you own your own business no problem billing 75 a hour.

#53     Mar 23, 2010
  4. When you can get work. Independent plumbing and electrical contractors go through huge ups and downs in business volume. When work's available, you work 80 hours a week knowing you'll inevitably go through drought periods for weeks or months at a time. Or even potentially years at a time like now.

#54     Mar 23, 2010
  5. If you are in Toronto, be a public transit (bus) driver or ticket collector. The unionized-controlled governmental organization have allow many workers to take tax payers' money with ease. The workers mostly make $100,000+ per year.

By Chris Wattie, National Post
    The head of the TTC says that having 58 bus drivers, ticket collectors and mechanics earning more than $100,000 a year may look bad, but such highly paid blue-collar workers are more the exception than the rule.

Councillor Adam Giambrone, chairman of the Toronto Transit Commission, said yesterday most transit workers earn about half of what their most highly paid colleagues made last year. The handful of workers who made in excess of $100,000 did so by putting in “hundreds of hours” of overtime, he said.

“The total numbers aren’t that far out of whack,” Mr. Giambrone said. “But what’s been happening more and more is that a lot of our employees are refusing overtime. So we get a small number of employees working in some cases more than 1,000 hours overtime in a year.”

The TTC’s budget for overtime has remained below $30-million a year for several years, he said. “It doesn’t look good, it’s true,” Mr. Giambrone said. “But it’s only about 3% of our 12,000 employees on that list.”

The Ontario government’s so-called Sunshine List, released this week, shows the names and salaries of everyone earning $100,000 working for a government department or agency as well as provincially funded bodies, such as the TTC.

There were 388 transit employees on the list this year, up nearly a third from the 276 on last year’s list of top public-sector earners, starting with Gary Webster, the chief general manager of the TTC, who made $273,735 plus benefits.

But along with the supervisors, managers and professional staff on the $100,000 list were 41 operators (subway train and bus drivers), 12 coach technicians, three transit special constables and two station collectors.

But Councillor Karen Stintz said it made little sense to have that many highly paid workers. “I understand the need for overtime, but 1,000 hours [a year] is just unbelievable,” she said.

“Why do we have so many people working that much overtime when for the past four years we’ve been hiring more and more drivers and collectors? That makes no sense to me.”

Bus, streetcar and subway operators, as well as ticket collectors, make a starting wage of $26.58 per hour.

By comparison, Mississauga Transit workers earn $26.63 per hour, GO Transit staff make $25.46 (a figure already increased after negotiations resulted in a new contract late last year), and Calgary transit operators are paid $25.55 an hour.

Mr. Giambrone said the hardest-working TTC employees even top his salary as a city councillor and TTC chairman. He earns $97,400 a year. “Bus drivers are making more than me, with overtime,” he said. “I don’t get overtime.”

Source: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...drivers-made-more-than-me-ttc-chief-says.aspx

#55     Mar 23, 2010
  6. first thing first: find your passion and then find a way to work your passion into profits. Anyone can just go to school or just get a job. Over the long haul, if you aint pursuing your passion you will never have the real energy needed to achieve.

#56     Mar 23, 2010
  7. How about some kind of volunteer position: Peace Corps, etc, etc?
    If nothing else, it'll give you a better perspective of how well off you are compared to most folks in the world.

#57     Mar 23, 2010
  8. I considered it a while ago.

Personally, I actually have a graduate degree and don't have too much trouble with work. However, I still think this is a very important question because there's nothing preventing me from losing it all tomorrow, or worse. I'm also assuming my future kids will just not be able to afford college at all.

#58     Mar 23, 2010
  9. pension, you forgot to mention that you can drink on the job with the TTC

#59     Mar 23, 2010
  10. Pipefitter/Welder and be available for travel.
    HVACR Tech. Learn on someone else's dime and start your own business. A fortune to be made in clean and checks alone.
    Don't want to get so dirty, be a Safety Coordinator for industrial construction. Get your OSHA 500 and you're on your way. Flexibility to travel will keep you working year round, or if you prefer do what many in the trades do, work plenty of O.T. for 8-9 months and vacation during the winter months.

#60     Mar 23, 2010