If you never went to college, what's the best job to have now?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by garchbrooks, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I agree that you should do something you love.

Having said that, if you do not yet know what your passion is and you just want a job, find a government job.

#31     Mar 20, 2010
  2. Retief

Retief

Amish farmer or Amish business. They get by with just an 8th grade education, raise huge families, refuse all social security benefits, and make a living in this world without relying upon modern technology. There's a huge difference between education and schooling.

#32     Mar 20, 2010
  3. I don't know if I heard this on an other ET thread, or it was from a friend, but he said most of the in demand jobs you read about won't even have existed before they start hiring people.

So I would say, get a general set of skills - business, communication, and work at some kind of edge / angle that is capable of being used in any future business that becomes the next big thing.

You needn't go to college to learn all the skills that are now commodified and now irrelevant, but you do need a kind of instinctive sense, motivation and a network of other people to make your goals happen. Even degreed people often lack this.

#33     Mar 20, 2010
  4. MattF

MattF

I'll second EMR. Read that book...and others by Hill. And Dale Carnegie. Lots more but start there.

Think about how much you want to make, then go after jobs in that area of pay. If you think about the job first, you may find something you like, but seriously will be disappointed with the pay and other junk that comes with it. I was there. Even if you love it, it may not make ends meet. So get a good numbers idea, then start exploring from there...

#34     Mar 21, 2010
  5. spd

spd

I was working on a biochem degree but quit school.

I am a catastrophe insurance adjuster and I pull 6 figures. And I have months off at a time when I can trade full time.

#35     Mar 21, 2010
  6. Johno

Johno

Referring to Australia - starting with a basic education and preferrably some general labouring skills, get a job with a Rigging / Construction company in any role that you can, this is not hard for willing workers as this is the key ingrediant owners/ managers look for, often self motivated physically fit ex grunts thrive in this environment. Do your basic, intermediate and advanced rigging tickets which takes about 4-6 weeks, do your EWP ticket - 2 days then any other tickets you may feel are advantageous - these take days or weeks. If you can't get a job immediately do the tickets anyway whilst getting government assistance to train/re-train, this will create even more opportunities to find a job where you can get experience. Work for the company on 60/80k +/ year for 2 years then if you have any brains at all you will find it relatively easy to get a job on major construction projects paying 150k +/year. Be smart with your money and before you know it serious opportunities will open up for you as if by magic!

I've just outlined one of the basic formulas that poorly educated people in Australia use to achieve success that is easily within their grasp.

Good Luck

Johno

#36     Mar 21, 2010
  7. I suppose if I was going to follow the "janitor" route. I suggest being a janitor in a legislative office building. (State is good, Fed is better) Check waste baskets for material non public information and seek out "rug time" with officials under the pretense of doing a better job. Keep your eyes and ears open and don't make a lot of dust.

#37     Mar 21, 2010
  8. I second the major in accounting--every business needs one from private industry to the CIA. I've been a CPA for 20 years and have never had a problem finding a job, nor making an above average salary. It also allows you to trade (swing) since you normally sit at a desk all day.

#38     Mar 21, 2010
  9. My sister lives in Seattle and just graduated with an RN but can't find a job--nobody is hiring. I'm sure the cycle will turn around again but I believe its this way across the country.

#39     Mar 21, 2010
  10. loza

loza Guest

Seattle is a notioriously bad job market, everbody wants to live there mainly the young, yuppie types. It is a great city but try to make money/get a job there...you pull your hear out...even when she gets hired, a matter of time she will be grossly underpaid.

#40     Mar 21, 2010