If you love trading, you will lose money

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by crgarcia, Mar 13, 2008.

1. In a business management seminar they stated that you should not be in a business you hate. So far everything OK.

But you also should be careful if you are in a business you love so much, because you may lose sense on reality; thus engaging in activities, that while entertaining and fullfiling to you, will not be profitable.

I like trading, but I don't love trading.
    I like making money relatively easily and confortably. But if I became -let's hope not- consistently unprofitable, I'll hate trading.

2. I love trading its the best online multiplayer computer video game ever.

3. In a video-game, you can always restart.
    Not so in trading (at least not with the same money you started).

In a videogame, it really doesn't matter if you win or lose (your family doesn't depend on it). In trading profits are all.

4. Paper trading is safe and can be fun. When you transition to cash, you'll quickly realize trading is no video game. It is an intense competition; you against the best in the business who will take your money day-in and day-out until you have none left in your account .

I trust you were being facetious. At least I hope so.

5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Let's not confuse love with passion. Love can blind you - yet being passionate about something, (ie: a business) can bring out a level of success you never knew existed within you.

6. I see what you're getting at.

People act like you can't enjoy it and have fun without getting your ass kicked. I enjoy winning, therefore trading is enjoyable.

If I didn't love and enjoy trading, I wouldn't do it. I love having a few drinks too, but that doesn't mean it's going to keep me from being responsible and doing what needs to be done. I am not going to fall into the abyss of alcoholism because I enjoy having a drink. The concepts are not mutually exclusive. Again, it boils down to discipline. I love to eat a big ass piece of choclate cake sometimes too, but that doesn't mean I can't control my urges..I am not doomed to being a fatass just because I enjoy eating cake.

All boils down to discipline.

It really is one of the best online multiplayer games ever- playing for real money makes it worthwhile.

7. I LOVE to trade. That said, I do not love it so much that I care to trade much more than a couple of hours a day.

8. scaban

scaban

I love applied economics and analysis. Trading I like. But the process of it is not very fulfilling. This is why I read more about economics and trading than actually trading.

However I do think you must "care" about trading to be profitable. And caring is closer to "love" than "like".

9. Just because real money is involved makes it no less of a video game. At least,it's a video game if you're scalping the orders where your edge is just being the first mofo to hit the button to lift the lined up offers that are sitting in the book yet unable to drive the price down in front of the large arca reserve bid with a small display size.

10. you condescending clown, keep the ''I am making money and not you so listen to me'' speeches for someone else.

Live or sim, it is a video game. You need to use your skills to get a higher score than the other players. Your characters ''levels up'' as you get experience, and you receive more powerfuls weapons (your setups) and armor (sizing, money management, more money in the account allowing more complex hedging strategies, etc). And when you fail its game over.

#10     Mar 15, 2008