If you live in a condo, you can get your own emergency SCBA unit. Why die like the rest?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by prc117f, Mar 26, 2017.

1. prc117f

prc117f

I can get out of my NYC condo in 3-5 minutes. (using stairwell/not elevator) taking a medium pace.

So I found something interesting, not sure why these end up for sale but they do and brand new with air in them in the factory box. They pop up on ebay, 100-130 bucks but they normally cost like 600 dollars or more. One guy had 6 but he sold out instantly, I got one from him and when i checked back they were all gone. The one I bought was made last year, still even had factory box with manuals,the warranty card to fill out etc.. :)

This thing is called an emergency escape SCBA unit that supplies 10 minutes of air. Definitely gives me a better chance to escape in the event of some kind of fire at the condo VS someone without who would be overcome by the smoke. Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death in residential fires.

Never knew these things even existed but they do and it seems like a nice thing to have just in case shit happens.

2. vanzandt

vanzandt

You can buy 500 feet of 3/8th inch nylon rope that can handle 450#'s for $29.
    Get a good pair of gloves.
    F*ck the stairwell.

3. prc117f

prc117f

Full complete setup, brand new factory fresh still with the warranty card, filled with the original air. 30 minutes supplied air. So when the shit hits the fan and the everyone is trapped because of toxic smoke, lack of O2 I can leisurely walk out of the danger wearing my SCBA tank like a boss. Fuck dying from smoke inhalation trapped like a rat in a cage. :)

Gonna order the official SCBA enclosed wall mount. It is a badass looking piece of gear, The mask looks like something from the movie twelve monkeys. It fits like a glove.

Wow this setup costs 2 grand!

scba1.jpg scba2.jpg scba3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. JSOP

JSOP

If you can get out of your NY condo in 3-5 minutes then either you don't live too high up or your building is not too tall. What if you live on the 100th floor of a condo building and the elevator is out? Would you be able to make it with this SCAB unit?

Second, in this post, you stated that this SCAB unit will supply 10 min. of air but in your later post, you stated that the unit actually supplies you 30 min. of air. How long of air does a SCAB unit really supply? 10 min. or 30 min.

Interesting post.