if you have a holy grail, what would you do when you are too old to trade?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by trend2009, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

This is actually an interesting question, (although a little badly phrased) and only 2 people answered it in any meaningful way. I assume the OP meant :

Let's say you have a proven profitable strategy and for whatever reason you want to get out of trading, what do you do?

So let's not pick on if it is hypothetical or you are not too old to do anything and answer the question.

I would automatize it and/or teach it to a relative or friend who shows interest in trading. That way the strategy LIVES ON.

#41     Dec 16, 2019
    cruisecontrol likes this.
  2. they would be stupid not to, since that data is immensely valuable. But I don’t have proof, but if I was part of a large brokerage that’s what I would do, or sell the info to hedgefunds for real time access to their database.

#42     Dec 16, 2019
  3. notagain

notagain

#43     Dec 16, 2019
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I agree, but it is probably illegal. Although they might have some kind of clause in their sing up waver that they can use your data for anything.

I always thought TopStepTrader piggy backs the top 10 accounts, otherwise their business model doesn't make sense. But yeah, we can't prove it.

#44     Dec 16, 2019
  5. imjohn

imjohn

It's an arduous task. I think "only the few" have the resources (i.e. energy, focus, significant time, adequate capital, etc.) and determination to acquire the necessary skills and character traits.

Yes, that's my comment in a day trading thread. But to be more clear... what I meant was "learning" trading is an arduous task, and specifically day trading as implied by that thread. Definitely not an endeavor I'd want to take on at an advanced age. But after navigating the intense learning process, it get's a whole lot easier and doesn't feel demanding (at least not to me). Majority of days this year have been sleep inducing.

Same with other fields, can definitely practice at advanced ages, but you need more physical/mental resources to learn, and for a lot of things, the learning window obviously shuts earlier in life than the practicing window.

But this thread is just general trading and assumes one has learned and has some kind of "grail".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    #45     Dec 16, 2019
    Wheezooo likes this.

6. An analogy to this is, think of 10,000 different stocks but each stock is analogous to a trader/account. Which percentage have outperformed, and look at correlation matrix, so on the whole returns are always up sloped. Rebalance at intervals. Let’s say you pick 100 out of 10,000 where half go up and half go down on any day. Deploy capital to the 100 traders/stocks/accounts .. Ray Dalio does this, he diversifies into positive return instruments.

#46     Dec 16, 2019
  7. padutrader

padutrader

i know i will wake up

holy grail exists only in a dream

because no one will take the other side of your transaction......

do not forget you need a broker and he will know it, sooner than later and start taking the same side.
    he will tell his good friends... who will then tell their good friends and soon everyone will be on the same side...the liquidity will dry up-because no one will take the opposite side-and then everyone has to exit......at the same time.......at a loss

#47     Dec 16, 2019
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Be nice, we can dream, can't we?

Happy holiday to you and your family.

#48     Dec 16, 2019
    dozu888 likes this.
  9. Nobert

Nobert

With brain cortex chips, one will be able to close the eyes, and see visual information & trade simply by thought.

Never too old from now on.

Direct answer, i would share , after the selected few were chosen,

by interest in it and heart.
    (doesn't have to be, ones kids)

Wouldn't want to leave, intelligent & rich assholes, behind of me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    #49     Dec 16, 2019
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Unless you have a billion $ in your trading account, I don't think your broker, who is now a computer will flag your account to a human to look at or call and talk to you.

#50     Dec 16, 2019