if you have a holy grail, what would you do when you are too old to trade?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by trend2009, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

Let me moderately rephrase your question.

What if you found something, I won't go so far as to say the 'holy grail,' but something you are sure you could monetize effectively, but you know that 'something' would be more beneficial to present to the rest of the world to advance their understanding of markets, and possibly benefit people and entire countries to the tune of 100's of billions of dollars, as opposed to having it end up hidden away in some proprietary model, where it would only benefit a few, all of whom, yourself-included, are far from needing further benefit.

What would you do?

#11     Dec 16, 2019
  2. I would focus on the latter part "... or give to kids but whom have no interests in trading."

If they have no interest in something that is extremely valuable and have required an extreme amount of effort, hours and risk to achieve, they are too privileged. Take away their privileges (a.k.a. money) and they will develop a natural interest for anything of value.

#12     Dec 16, 2019
    tomas262 and DaveV like this.
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The holy grail phrase is the wrong way to look at it. Instead, try looking at it from the stand point as a career in trading.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/nepotism-mobility-same-jobs-fathers/395567/

Also, be aware that most retail traders and professional traders have different paths into trading...different jobs along the way until they became a trader. The probability that your children will grow up and then pursue another career is very high.

If its an issue for you...maintain a private trade journal with lots of personal inputs about your family (kids) and pass that to them. It'll be more of an interesting read instead of just writing about your career as a trader or writing about some trade method.

In fact, if you've ever maintained a diary or maybe still do (I do)...you'll know how to make a private trade journal very interesting for family members to read if you want to leave something behind to your family.

Yet, get rid of that holy grail talk.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    #13     Dec 16, 2019
  4. the trading technique is different from other techniques like google and drug. if it is published, it stops working, so in the end, the technique will benefit no one, it is effectively dead.

#14     Dec 16, 2019
  5. it is a hypothetical question for sure.

#15     Dec 16, 2019
  6. The only ‘holy grail’ that I’m aware of is when brokerages use their customer accts to track positions, and create a subset of winners who constantly demonstrate alpha. Than they deploy capital and piggyback off trades of that subset, on average most of that subset should come out ahead.

a personal ‘holy grail’ is pivot trading relative to volatility.

#16     Dec 16, 2019
  7. do you have evidence that broker does that? or is it hypothetical too?

#17     Dec 16, 2019

8. A forex bucket shop take the other side of your trade. 95% fail. So 95% wins for shop.

can be extrapolated to larger brokerages.

#18     Dec 16, 2019
  9. tomorton

tomorton

I intend to have my PA trade for me when the time comes. Maybe the nurse can lend a hand in the afternoons.

#19     Dec 16, 2019
  10. In terms of your original question, my children are still not teenagers yet. I started 3 funds, and am a registered CTA. I hope to pass on what I know to the children, systemize as much as possible what I know, and introduce them to screen time at a earlier age if they have predilection to it.

#20     Dec 16, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.