If you had to invest in a mutual fund, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corso482, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Personally, I'm intrigued by the following:

HSGFX, only because the manager is a market efficiency guru, so I feel like I'd at least be sort of on the same page with him. He's had some really good performance, not one down year, even in bear markets. I think he uses options to hedge.

HOTFX, I'm not sure what to think of this one. It's an upgrader fund, meaning they buy the best performing funds, when they start to lag, they sell those and buy the next best performing funds, and so on. Interesting idea, although I have a suspicion it'll just track the S&P with more volatility.

ALPHX, it's really a hedge fund of funds dressed up like a mutual fund. It's got a 4% expense ratio...I just wonder if it'll ever move. They had one really good year, but it's been going nowhere this year. Maybe they're too diversified. I'm also not exactly awe struck by the funds within their fund.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

2. keyser1

keyser1

i'm not a fan of funds of funds since your basically paying twice the expense ratio and not necessarily getting anything out of it. if the manager can trade funds, why can't he/she trade securities?
    therefore my pick looks like #1.

3. ENZO

ENZO

I wouldnt

4. Oh come on, surely not all mutual funds suck! :)

5. keyser1

keyser1

You may have already done the fund research so might at well make use of it...

but i do agree with enzo to an extent...

when i invest in funds, they're always index funds (takes no mental effort to 'pick' the right fund); sometimes sector funds...

The problem with purchasing funds (that you expect to beat the market) is that theres alot of garbage out there, and it takes work to find one that hasn't become too big and that has a great manager who can be expected to beat the market. In my opinion you'd be better off working to find a few good stocks instead; plus i think its more fun.

6. cmk

cmk

I think i would pick the ING Orange savings account

7. Vanguard