If you had a Million bucks in cash.....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nexen, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jrlvnv

jrlvnv

moved to vegas, buy 6 houses for 150k each. Hire a property management company to find renters. Enjoy the 6k a month rental income. Sell the houses whenever they double in price.

#31     Oct 17, 2009
  2. Nexen

Nexen

Although I admit the trend is up, is strong, is furious and so far, unstoppable we never can rule out the possibility that the market can do whatever it wants whenever it wants and that's where risk management comes in.

What's your stop ? What's your size ?

#32     Oct 17, 2009
  3. If I had it now, I'd buy a mix of JNK HYG PHB.

Not sure if I'd be willing to hold them through a recession though.

#33     Oct 17, 2009
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Please excuse my ignorance, but there's a CANSLIM etf? William O'Neil style?

#34     Oct 17, 2009
  5. wutang

wutang

You'd have to be able to get out of a stock like ASFX. I think the only people making "certain" money in penny stocks are those who buy shell companies to facilitate these pump and dump scams and the promoters. Get incorporated in DE or NV, pay some newsletters for PR, manipulate "the technicals" on the chart and watch the sheep coming pouring in.

#35     Oct 17, 2009
  6. Actually most don't, like 99 percent of the public and 99.9 percent of elite trader.

Depending on your age, I would put 25 percent in physical metals, weighted equally in each gold silver platinum.

25 percent in managed futures, 2 to 5 diversified programs.

10 percent cash. Some dollars, yen, loonies and euros

15 percent government bonds and TIPS mix

25 percent in foreign currency divident paying stocks focused on agriculture.

#36     Oct 17, 2009
  7. That is an investment.

#37     Oct 18, 2009
  8. FCCT

FCCT

This becomes a very interesting question when you factor in a specific time frame. With so many changes it's hard to even state where you can preserve purchasing power for the next 5 years. Im going to stay away from the long term buy and hold and hope dinosaur strategy.

I dont see how anyone could comfortably hold stocks or commodities or any currency thats gone vertical at these levels.

I think expectations are still too high, investors are asking where can I make money versus where can I preserve wealth. Forget about looking for return on investment, you will be looking for return OF investment.

Short term Id stay ultra conservative. I think USD will be the best asset for the next 12 months.

The question is interesting because the longer the timeframe the less attractive cash is.

#38     Oct 18, 2009
  9. ehsmama

ehsmama

Keep doing what made you get to million dollars..Thats just a number nothing more or less
    Why fix what ain't broke..
    And million dollars is really not that much anyway
    Maybe 100 Million.........can retire.

#39     Oct 18, 2009
  10. Lethn

Lethn

Yes, but it's an investment you can have far more control over and you can decide where it goes and have a better idea of how the company is run.

As opposed to just swamping a company with a few thousand dollars for awhile and waiting for a return and never knowing a lot of what they do.

#40     Oct 18, 2009