If you don't have laptop, when traveling around countries? How to run Trading apps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TradeTune, Jun 30, 2020.

1. VPS. I use chartvps.com, and it's trivial to get your trading software installed. You can access it via remote desktop from any device, including tablet/phone.

#31     Jul 1, 2020
    drm7 and TradeTune like this.
  2. No free time to kill and subject as got out of topic.

Spec Few guys for their indept insight which has been helpful. I'm done. Thank you all.

#32     Jul 1, 2020
  3. JSOP

JSOP

Start to think he is just a troll. He is going through nature on a motorbike, worrying about personal security to the point that he can't even bring along a laptop and yet he's thinking about trading and not just putting in trades (because he could've just called in to trade like I suggested earlier) but actually trading with strategies that he would actually need full access to IB's TWS for? If he's traveling in "nature", he won't even have internet access or cellphone service. How is he going to connect? Something does not make sense but anyway he's done here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    #33     Jul 1, 2020
    apdxyk, p0box4 and wrbtrader like this.
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The travelling in nature, walking and motorbike was what I caught.

I've seen it done before but not for trading purposes and it was extremely costly while catching the eye of the wrong type of individuals.

People acting like the lone ranger or special ops...they better be one for real to get out of trouble.

Reminds me of Americans that were kidnap and their families said he / she was just a tourist just like everybody else.

wrbtrader

#34     Jul 1, 2020
    apdxyk and JSOP like this.
  5. jl1575

jl1575

I used to trade with a couple of 7 or 8 inch of Window tablets that are touch screen and even with active pen for more precise control on charts. I can fit it in the pockets in my pants and pull it out easily. They are Intel Atom CPU and decent power with 2G RAM. I used to have even small mobile PC with 5 inch screen but those are much older style and slower, still feasible for charting or trading depending on internet speed.

#35     Jul 1, 2020
  6. Run Linux off a USB stick:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

You can run this on any borrowed machine, but you might have trouble doing it in an internet cafe unless their security is really lax.

Or use a smart phone if you're just a casual trader (I would imagine a $100 second hand phone could probably run the IBKR app).

GAT

PS I used to live in the middle east and now I live in the UK. I've been to Singapore, about 11000 km away from where I was born. Hope that's far enough for you.

#36     Jul 1, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  7. JSOP

JSOP

The guy is long gone.

#37     Jul 1, 2020
  8. Thanks for your service.

#38     Jul 5, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You're welcome.

I've been hoping for a few years that more people here at ET that have served will speak up about such.

Very few have spoken. :(

wrbtrader

#39     Jul 5, 2020
  10. I am retired Army.......20 years.
    I never expected it to be that way. I reenlisted to finish college and it was 10 years before I graduated from
    Austin Peay University / Ft Campbell, KY

But after you have 10 years....well you may as well do 20.
    I was 11Bravo / Infantry and was pulled for Recruiting duty, returned to Infantry and they they told me I had to return to Recruiting with 150 others because they were struggling at the time. So I retired as a 79R / Recruiter, SFC/E7.

I hated Recruiting. 12 - 14 hour days every day and I worked every Saturday. The only time I had a Saturday off was when I took leave / vacation. I hated it.

I did 2 tours in Germany and loved them. At least when it was not cold or raining. Germany is beautiful though. Lots to see, castles are as common over there as water towers that we see here.

I never went to Desert Storm, Afghanistan or Iraq. I was never in a unit that was called to go.

The closest I came to deployment was during Desert Storm and we had to get our shot records updated and create a Will. That was it.

I was Airborne and Air Assault.

I had some good times, but Recruiting was miserable.

I try to say thanks when I see a vet. One day I was speaking to a Vietnam vet and he was telling me about his experiences as a SF medic in Vietnam. I thanked him for his service and for keeping the country free. He teared up and said that it was the first time anyone had every thanked him for serving in Vietnam. This was 2002.

I get a modest check every month but it's not worth the sacrifice I made. 2K a month is nothing compared to working 6 days a week, or spending 180 days a year sleeping under the stars. I had some good times, met some good people, and saw some amazing sites, but you also lose a lot of earning power and you slowly lose a little part of yourself.

I have Tricare but I only use it for dental work.
    I have not been to the PX or the Commissary in ten years.
    The savings are not that great and many items are cheaper at WM and Target.

When I was a kid, everyone in my family was a veteran of WW2, Korea or Vietnam. I looked up to them, but when you tell someone that you were in the military today it's more like.....that's nice.......or..... poor guy etc.. I never expected to be put on pedestal but I don't think there is a lot of respect or admiration for military service. But the public and the politicians are awful quick to send us into harm's way if it is politically convenient.

I hope Trump follows through on his promise to remove troops from Afghanistan during his next term. 19 years is WAYYYY too long to be there.

I don't think anyone thanked me for my service until 9-11. I had a few Germans thank me when I was overseas but no one in the states thanked me until 9-11.

Anyhow, that's my rant.........lol

#40     Jul 5, 2020
    Aged Learner and wrbtrader like this.