If you don't have Bloomberg any more... which software ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chris Mac, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Chris Mac

Chris Mac

I am a LT bloomberg user (more than 10 years). And maybe I will have to stop using it.
    I am not a coder / geek so I am searching for a user friendly software, and not too expensive.
    Which software would you recommand and why?

CM

2. just21

just21

www.money.net are competing with Bloomberg for $150 a month. Depends what you want to do and who your broker is.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. zdreg

zdreg

4. Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Thanks, never heard of it, but it looks like a BBG.
    I will test it, tx!

My needs :
    Top news
    Macro datas
    Multi-time frame charts
    Simple formula (excel-like)
    Easy signals
    Available / distributed in Europe (more precisely France)
    Client Service (call center).

CM

5. just21

just21

6. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jeez... not money dot net again !

They are obviously employing excellent PR and marketing people. But that's as far as it goes.

To call money.net a viable competitor to Bloomberg is an absolute joke.

Apples and Oranges. Chalk and Cheese.

You are living on a different planet, in a different universe if you seriously think money.net is anywhere near Bloomberg.

Nothing comes near to the breadth and depth of functionality and data available at your fingertips on a Bloomberg terminal.

Reuters Eikon (the REAL one, NOT the crippled Metastock version !) would realistically be their nearest competitor, and even they are lacking in certain areas.

The second-tier vendors like Infront and Fidessa and others are ok for basic stuff like prices and RNS. But you won't find much (any) of the value-add stuff that you do on the top-tier.

And then you've got the bottom feeders like Money.net .... who give you a fraction of the information for a fraction of the price and are only really useful for unsophisticated dumb retail traders who like to think they're getting "Bloomberg for cheap" but really they're not.

Its like YCharts... they also call themselves a "same as Bloomberg" but they're a joke too. For a start, you can forget about ANY non-US data on YCharts, they don't have any.

7. just21

just21

Depends what functions of the Bloomberg you use. It is used for messaging by a lot of people. Money.net has symphoney messaging built in.

8. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Oh, that old chestnut. :banghead:

I really don't get people who say "Bloomberg is just a messaging tool" ... yeah right, its like buying a Ferrari just to go to the shops.

JackRab and CBC like this.
  9. CBC

CBC

Qtrader is my favorite. I like the DOMs the best.

Do you mind if I ask a few questions about the terminal, I've always wanted to know.

1. Can u get rid of the phone numbers down the bottom of the screen? They look annoying.

2. Do the charts have free-scroll? Both left to right and up and down?

3. When you turn on the computer / terminal does it go to windows or does it load automatically into the bloomy software? can u use a normal computer?

4. Do you still have to pay market fees?

5. What is the current price ATM? Is it still 25K per year for 3 years?

Thanks.

10. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

@CBC ...

1. Probably a setting somewhere, I always mean to go looking for it.

2. Oddly enough, I've never tried (or at least not conciously, maybe I do it subconciously !) . I don't spend a huge amount of time on the charts, I use the other areas of the product for my research. Not infront of BBG at the moment, will try later if I remember.

3. You don't have to have Bloomberg hardware. You can just use software, and hence just like any other piece of software, it doesn't take over your computer.

4. Delayed included for most markets. You pay if you want live.

5. Yes, somewhere around the 25K USD mark (plus sales taxes as applicable for your location). Forget about any "negotiations". And 2 year term, not 3, with 6 months notice. They do a 30 day free trial if you ask them nicely (but you have to go to a Bloomberg office first to suffer a sales pitch before they give you a login).

And no, you can't "share" it. You've got the choice of two versions (both same price, same product, just different access) :

• Bloomberg Professional (tied to one machine, unlimited user logins) ... for example if you want a Bloomberg box sitting in the corner of an office.
    • Bloomberg Anywhere (tied to one user, unlimited machines).

For Bloomberg Anywhere, you can't just share your login details with other people. They have this very fancy security device that verifies you are the person sitting at the screen at the time you login (you swipe your fingerprint AND you have to hold the device to the monitor).

Bloomberg Professional logins won't work anywhere except on the machine they were created on and are tied to.

#10     Apr 4, 2017
    kmiklas, CBC and Zzzz1 like this.