If you died tomorrow, would you be happy with your life?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, Mar 16, 2003.

1. My answer is an easy NO. :-/

FRuiTY P.

2. if i'd never gotten into trading, i certainly would have been. :(

the trading quest has left me with a huge yearning. will i ever fulfill it? oh gawd.. i shudder to think i won't..

3. I wish I was always a few beers under the influence. It makes me see pasts the little things and realize the things that really mater. :-/

I'm not a bad person, but I have a lot of regrets. :-/

F. PeBBLe

4. tampa

tampa

If I died tomorrow, would I be happy with my life? Do I really have a choice?

I have done - or tried to do - most everything I wanted to do. I've been to most of the places I wanted to see. I've had professional success, and like everyone else, more personal failure than I would have preferred. Along the way I have hurt and disappointed more people than I should have.

But I really would not change any of it, because all the success, all the failures, all the things I regret have brought me to being who and what I am today. One could argue that I could have done more, that I could have done better in all aspects of my life - but it serves no purpose.

The best anyone can do in life is to learn from past mistakes, and never give up hope - never stop trying, never stop learning.

I've met that criteria, so should I die tomorrow, I'd be a little pissed about it, but I did what I could with what I had to work with. And I never stopped trying.

5. I voted yes, but the thing is, how does a dead person be happy?

So my yes vote is conditional on being able to be happy when I am dead...

6. :eek:

7. yes

best,

surfer

8. Nolan

Nolan

the most important things in life are security and love. If you have love, you're halfway home. If you have a great spouse, you're 3/4 of the way there.

The last piece of the puzzle is security. If you know you can live for many years to come on your nest egg, you should truly be happy.

The final piece is whether you love your job/how you spend your day. If your in a job you hate, things may not be great/happy for you. But if you like your work, you are in a definite minority, and should be grateful.

Love by your spouse, security, and love of your work, are the 3 key ingredients to happiness!

nolan

9. Well said, Brother Nolan... and welcome to our fraternal community... you missed one thing out: a daily fix of ET...

10. Ecstasy 'makes users depressed for life'
    By Sophie Goodchild and Kat Johnson
    16 March 2003

A generation of young clubbers is risking long-term brain damage by taking the drug ecstasy, according to new research published yesterday. Academics are now warning that taking only one or two pills can lead to lasting depression.

A two-year research study carried out by psychologists from London Metropolitan University found that people who had tried ecstasy on only a few occasions had depression levels four times higher than those who had taken a range of other drugs but not ecstasy.

The findings presented to the British Psychological Society's annual conference in Bournemouth yesterday suggested that taking ecstasy left users susceptible to major problems triggered by stress or emotional turbulence.

The results were based on studying 519 volunteers, including current and past ecstasy users, and others who had either never used drugs or had used a number of drugs other than ecstasy, including alcohol and cannabis.

Participants were given a standard psychological questionnaire designed to discover to what extent they suffered from depression. A score of 25 on the questionnaire indicated clinically depression.

Non-ecstasy users, including those taking other drugs such as alcohol, nicotine, cannabis, amphetamines and cocaine, had average scores of about four. But the scores of even non-frequent ecstasy users, including many who had only tried the drug once or twice, reached levels of 16 or 17. Frequent users scored values of up to 28 which put them in the category of clinically depressed even though they were generally not aware of the fact.

Ecstasy is currently listed as a class A drug along with cocaine and heroin although recreational users deny that it has any lasting side effects.

There have been 202 ecstasy deaths recorded in England and Wales between 1997 and April 2002. The dangers of the drug were first highlighted by the death of schoolgirl Leah Betts in 1995 who collapsed after taking ecstasy on her 18th birthday.

A report by the Home Affairs Select Committee recommended the downgrading of the drug and anti-drug abuse charities say the Government is sending out the wrong message by linking it with heroin and cocaine.

Lynn Taurah, who carried out the research with Dr Chris Chandler, said that ecstasy users did not realise they were depressed and she warned people to stay away from the drug.

"People often think taking ecstasy just once or twice won't matter, but what we're seeing is evidence that if you take ecstasy a couple of times you do damage to your brain that later in life will make you more vulnerable," she said.

Ms Taurah added that findings supported evidence from animal studies suggesting that even small doses of ecstasy destroyed brain neurons that produced the important chemical messenger serotonin, which is closely linked to mood. Seven years after the initial damage there was no sign of the neurons repairing themselves.

The animal data raised the possibility that ecstasy may have a whole range of adverse effects involving memory, impulsiveness, decision-making, sleep, and mood.

The research has been received with some scepticism. Dr Jon Cole of Liverpool University, whose own research concluded that the adverse effects of ecstasy had been exaggerated, said that scientists had yet to produce conclusive evidence that the drug had a long term negative impact on users.

"Depression among ecstasy users is not unique. It is the same with people who abuse alcohol," said Dr Cole. "All the evidence so far points to the fact that all these side effects may be down to other factors."

Additional reporting by Steve Bloomfield

Dave Cole (19): Trainee civil engineer, Lincoln.

"I've grown up a bit and realised you can go out and enjoy yourself without taking a whole load of drugs. I was at uni for six months and caned it too much. My come–downs were getting worse and nights out weren't so good. I got a job but I couldn't work and do this at the same time. I've only taken pills once in the past year."

Kirsti Lunn (18): Lincoln.

"Everyone's more laid back here, there's no fighting, no attitude – everyone's chilled and loved up. Everyone's taken drugs – go back to the 40s, 50s, 60s, everyone's done it – they just don't want to admit it. It's not a problem – so what if you pop a pill?"

Salim Siwani (30): Computer programmer, Liverpool.

"Five years ago I'd club every week – now it's once in a blue moon. I used to do ecstasy; it hasn't done me any harm. Two people I know who did too much are now on Prozac. The research is all bollocks – nobody knows the score but it's up to that person."

Steve Hird (21): Student, Kendal.

"People's attitudes to drugs have changed a hell of a lot. When I was 16, I was totally against taking drugs but nowadays, going out with drugs and coming clubbing is exactly like going out and getting pissed. It doesn't seem illegal – it just seems really normal to me."

Children upset by lack of fame
    Children are becoming increasingly depressed because they are obsessed with achieving celebrity or having supermodel good looks.

That is the conclusion of a study of 400 children aged between nine and 12 which was unveiled yesterday at the conference.

Psychologists found that those who believed happiness was linked to unattainable levels of money, fame and beauty were more likely to suffer from depression. Among the group, 16 were found to have clinical depression while 112 were found to be vulnerable to depression in the future.

The research, which was led by Dr Helen Street from the Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre in Western Australia, focused on children's beliefs about happiness and how these related to their goals in life.

A significant relationship was identified between the children's understanding of happiness and their vulnerability to depression.

Depressed children were more likely to believe that happiness was something achieved through the acquisition of money, fame and beauty. These children wanted to be rich and famous above all else in life.

Happier children were more inclined to believe that feeling good was about healthy attitudes and the experience of pursuing goals, whatever the outcomes might be.

They were more likely to seek positive relationships with others and to feel that they were developing personally through life.

Dr Street said that the research highlighted an important link between children who were driven by achieving material goals and their experience of depression.

"It is suggested that unhealthy conceptions of happiness as an outcome dependent upon the acquisition of wealth, fame and beauty are contributing to increasing levels of childhood depression in Western society," she said.

"Misconceptions of happiness as an outcome rather than a process lead to unhealthy motivations controlling goal settings and pursuit and to a tendency to increasing levels of rumination and depression."

Sophie Goodchild

#10     Mar 16, 2003