If you could master one strategy, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Apr 20, 2009.

If you could master one strategy, which would you choose?

1. Buy & hold index investing

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. Deep value investing

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Long/short equity

19 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. How to anticipate and follow major macro trends

28 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. How to speculate in growth/momentum stocks

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. How to buy near the lows of market panics

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. How to spot major stock market tops

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. I am referring to an equivalent "per trade" expectancy, but alluding to a better compounded return on the higher turnover strategy.

#21     May 1, 2009
  2. Insider trading

#22     May 1, 2009
  3. Fading port1385, bluestreek, riskfreetrading, marketsurfer, stock-trad3r, etc, etc.

Those boyz rarely get it right! :D

#23     May 1, 2009
  4. AK100

AK100

One can make a fortune if they master technical failures.

For example, we all know to buy/sell the market when the RSI goes to this or that level, but what happens when those signals fail? That's where the good money is.

#24     May 1, 2009
  5. Learn how to sell volatility confidently, consistently and profitably without relying upon directional strategies and without burning up profit through hedging commission as a retail trader.

Much easier just to sell strads for size and hedge in futures with minimal transaction costs if you are large institutional. Unfortunately, unless you are your own hedge fund, ain't so easy on the retail side. Slowly working it out.

Suprised by the number of people who want to trade global macro here. That's not that difficult - you just have to read the right stuff like a maniac and work on your timing. Correct inputs = successful output. But perhaps it is a sign of the confusion of the times - trust me, nobody has a lock on the truth these days.

#25     May 1, 2009
  6. From MW2, page 106:

"I'm not sure that my strategy had anything to do with my success. If you assume that the true theoretical price is somewhere between the bid and the offer, then if you buy on the bid you're buying the market for a little less than it's worth. Similarly, if you sell on the offer, you're selling it for a little more than it's worth. Consequently, on balance, my trades had a positive expected return, regardless of my strategy. That fact alone could very well have represented 100 percent of my success."

#26     May 1, 2009