If you can take too much vitamins. Can you take too much capitalism and get sick?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Askmega, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Askmega

Askmega

Or Maybe If Capitalism Wasn't Cornered ??

A huge share of the nation's economic growth over the past 30 years has gone to the top one-hundredth of one percent, who now make an average of $27 million per household. The average income for the bottom 90 percent of us? $31,244.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) $451.1 million
    Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.) $435.4 million
    Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.) $366.2 million
    Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) $294.9 million
    Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) $285.1 million
    Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) $283.1 million
    Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wisc.) $231.2 million
    Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) $201.5 million
    Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) $136.2 million
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) $108.1 million

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

2. There's a chart I saw a few times showing the % of income earned by those at the top in the US (It's basically a measure of income inequality). In 1929, the chart was at an all-time high, followed by where is was in 2007. Seems to be correlated to inevitable Market crashes. The allocation mechanism gets "denatured" and monopoly capitalism and / or pure speculation takes over and ruins the economy.

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

3. Askmega

Askmega

Fascinating this just confirms is

thanks

4. Good thread. As with most things, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

5. No, capitalism in and of itself is not the problem. However, when it is "cornered" as suggested by the OP, capitalism then becomes a Plutocracy, perhaps even a plutarchy. Under such a system a wealthy minority have disproportionate influence over the political process. In essence they are able to buy favorable conditions for the continued bleeding of the economic system. The system is not as much cornered as it is held hostage while the wealthy few extort the workforce. Give us your money, or we upend the system, eliminate all jobs, and basically bankrupt the country. The worker is faced with the decision to work for slave wages, or have no work at all. Hence, all the money flows upwards.
    Not a soul with even a microscopic level of intellectual honesty can argue that what we are experiencing is not a Plutocracy. To argue otherwise, one must be so completely bias in their political views, practice such an astounding degree of willful ignorance, that they are fully incapable of having a rational discussion on the subject.

6. One of the biggest scams is the CEO pay and the bullshit that they have to be paid that or the company will lose the talent. Where the f^k are they going to go and make millions of risk free dollars a year and a golden parachute, they can't get it. And there is no way for us stock holders to stop this. It's a good ol boy system where the board of directors are in bed with the management and the investing middle class is locked out. I don't know the solution but I'm for doing something.

7. No myth, I've seen a nician flush cause a man to get sick, I've had a multiple vitamin make me sick, I think it's the high dose of B vitamins that does it. Too much vitamin C and also magnesium can give you loose bowls. Not life threathing that I know of. Too much fish oil while taking aspirin can make bleeding hard to stop. Too much vitamin A can be toxic. It's been a while since I've read up on this but I think there have been deaths from vitamin A over dose. I took too much vitamin A years ago, my hair started falling out and the skin on my face started peeling. For months afterward I couldn't even eat a carrot without the side effects showing up again and my skin turning a funky shade of brownish orange.

8. pegasys1

pegasys1

CaptianObv, not many people understand this. It is obvious, but people are very, very, VERY, stupid.

9. Every doctor is taught that the only difference between medicine and poison is dose.

10. Every trader should know that there is a difference between cause and correlation. Another interpretation of the same data is that the political class thought they knew better than the market what this distribution of wealth should be. They became proactive, f'ed up the economy and caused the crash.

Knowing the cause rather than the correlates informs us of considerably different remedies. Some kill the patient.

#10     Mar 6, 2011