If you are using Linux/Unix, who is your stock data vendor?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by 88888888, Jan 18, 2009.

1. VirtualBox is free and works great!

#21     Jan 27, 2009
  2. Tums

Tums

Yahoo

#22     Jan 27, 2009
  3. pdthurts

pdthurts

+1 for YAHOO.

Their data quality is very good.

I use Google screener for building super-set (average volume > 200K) and Yahoo for EoD.

Everything scripted with CRON and good-to-go on a Linux box with MySQL.

PM me if you need them.

#23     Jan 28, 2009
  4. lugnutz

lugnutz

The gray box system I built uses yhoo data and runs under linux/cygwin/etc. To facilitate the data grabs, I use libcurl under C. Very simple, fast and very portable to any gcc compiler.

If you ever need intraday equity data, TDAmeritrade has a fairly well defined protocol interface that allows you to develop software for any platform, including linux or MAC... and their data feed is free as long as you're a non-pro. (They also have a handy API if you decide on a win32 platform.)

Good luck,
    lugz

#24     Jan 29, 2009
  5. 314

For my project, I require real-time NYSE and NASDAQ quotes, but can't pay for a pricey data feed. So I developed a Ruby library that extracts real-time stock quotes from the NYSE and NASDAQ's websites as often as needed. I can poll for prices on a handful of stocks four times a second without hiccups. Works for me.

#25     Jan 29, 2009
  6. Starter

Starter

IMO The solution is very simple:

prorealtime.com

Free EOD data and Java based, so should run on Linux

Includes a screener.

It's not perfect, but the best java based charting I have seen.

#26     Jan 29, 2009
  7. 314

Looks like their real-time feed is only available for a week though, as a trial, unless you want to pay for it. :/

#27     Jan 29, 2009