if you are religious and you stop and actually think you can be free.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

:D

#21     Aug 14, 2011
  2. Due Buy

Due Buy

Sound argument. I've never seen one crafted so elegantly.

#22     Aug 15, 2011
  3. i hear you. i was at the sturgis motorcycle rally this weekend and ran into a bunch of young teenage bible thumpers. they were standing on the streetcorner handing out jesus literature. one of them was wearing a teashirt that said "with god anything is possible". this kid was all tatooed and was smoking a cigarette and looked like he hadnt showered in a week. i had to restrain myself from telling him evidentally it isnt possible for god to fix stupid.

#23     Aug 15, 2011
  4. Mav88

Mav88

Free Thinker,

I am a nonbeliever myself but long ago I stopped debating Christians about Christianity because when it comes to most of the important political battles, secularism has won. It has been that way for a long time.

Here's what I think is really pathetic about your kind (democratic leaning 'enlightened' types). You sit here debating this stuff with folks who are no threat to you while YOUR man Obama hosts a Ramadan dinner at the white house. http://www.voanews.com/policy/editorials/President-Obama-Celebrates-Iftar-127758483.html

...and here's what he said at that dinner:
    If those words don't just piss the hell out of you then you are an intellectual fraud, a delusional thinker. While you sit here in useless debates with peaceful christians, the political group you support in turn supports the most oppressive and primitive major religion on the planet. Want your freedom attacked for real? Live in a muslim community and be vocal about being an atheist, or maybe try speaking the truth about islam at one of our esteemed universities. See how long before the PC censor police have you by the balls and shout about your need for sensitivity training. You really have no idea where the real threats are.

#24     Aug 16, 2011
  5. But I went to mecca, experienced great food and lot's of hospitality.
    Nobody cared that i wasn't a muslim, they were simply confused why I would be there. Food was fantastic.

Nobody killed me, I'm quite certain of that. Don't change the fact that they are all deluded psychopaths, in essence, and therein lies the rub.

#25     Aug 16, 2011
  6. Mav88

Mav88

Really dumb and childish argument to say "I survived muslims so Islam is great', and it is also against their law for non muslims to be there so I don't really believe you. Name one Christian city that forbids muslims.

#26     Aug 16, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I was thinking much the same.

#27     Aug 16, 2011
  8. there arent many muslims to debate on et but yes it is a delusion just like all religions are.
    none of that has any bearing on weather or not christianity is true.

#28     Aug 16, 2011
  9. Mav88

Mav88

I have also concluded that the personal god of Abraham does not exist, but I have found that it counterproductive debating it with Christians. True enough, a thousand years ago they might have killed us for it but today we live peacefully in a free and mostly secular society that is dominated by them. I take that as good enough, no use being angry about human nature.

Richard Feynman, one of the greatest scientsist of the last century and a nonbeliever, said
    Remarks at a Caltech YMCA lunch forum (2 May 1956)

In my opinion, most people without formal religion replace it with something else. Mysticism, spiritualism etc. but what I have observed to be trendy with the academic left is to replace religion with their own unquestionable 'pillars' such as humanism (with its corollary egalitarianism) and multiculturalism. If one challenges this dogma to the believers, you will get the same zealous and violent attacks that religions can spawn since you are challenging a personal belief system. Worse yet, it's now been encoded into 'law' at some universities where hate speech rules are enacted to protect their religion. It's quite amazing to watch really, and how a religious like aura was built around Obama. I'm much more afraid of that.

#29     Aug 16, 2011
  10. i will concede that religion is useful as a means of control and thats all fine for you but some of us value intellectual honesty.

#30     Aug 16, 2011