If you are employed full-time, when do you spend time working on your system?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by lolatency, Mar 19, 2009.

1. travis

travis

Only 2-3% here can make a living trading?

If, outside Elite Trader, the people who consistently make money trading are said to be around 10%, how can they be even less than that at ET?

Actually I think that in this section of the forum the percentage of people who make money is much higher than outside. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those here (automated trading) made money consistently.

This poll I posted seems to agree:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157392

#31     Mar 25, 2009
  2. I would guess only 1% here have been successful for more than 5 years. I've been an on-again/off-again trader. I am fairly certain the next time I go all-out will be when I succeed. I know so much more than I did 5 years ago. The issue is getting the freedom to go all-out.

I contemplate things like moving into my mom's basement or buying a cheap RV, or something. My goal is to make $30,000-$40,000 a year trading in a rural town, so I don't have to work for someone else. I guess I am fundamentally just "tired" at the moment, trying to inspire myself with stories, other people's strategies, etc. I am having a tough time finding inspiration to power myself through the down times at the moment. Physically, energy is just gone. That's why I posted this question.

I guess you could say I have a hunger for freedom, but I'm trying to muster up the energy to make it happen entirely.

#32     Mar 25, 2009
  3. lpchad

lpchad

We've all been there. You'll reach a point where the frustration will drive you to success.

#33     Mar 25, 2009
  4. ljmlmvlhk

ljmlmvlhk Guest

In my experience, to be energized, one needs to expend energy.

Physical activity is paramount to a energized wellbeing imo.

I do press ups, walk when I can, ride a bike, swim.

As soon as I feel lethargic, I attempt to do some exercise.

I work in a office, sitting on bum 5 days a week so get no exercise at work.
    Also important to not eat too much, my diet is basic and I feel great.
    (59 yo this year)

I’m fortunate. Live in Western Australia, beaches and parks and bush close by.
    Clean air, my commute time to work is 5 minutes.
    I don’t walk to work as I come home for lunch and need my car as well for visiting clients from time to time.
    I work at home right up to the time I need to go to work, then come home and switch on the computer immediately.

#34     Mar 25, 2009
  5. chris319

chris319

I work eight hours per day, five days per week and spend another four hours per day and many hours on weekends coding, when I am working on a system, which is not always. At some point you have to stick a fork in it and call it "done" and let your system work its money-making magic. No use being compulsive about it. I don't try to chase the last nickel of profit, but am always open to the idea that there might be a better way and will go to work if I sense there is one. When I'm not working on a system I have leisure time to pursue other interests. I am single so have no mate or children to tend to. Sex life? Don't I wish!

#35     Mar 26, 2009
  6. ET873

ET873

Way off topic, but interesting that you mention not eating too much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

#36     Aug 30, 2009
  7. By my calculations it's about time for another post ?

#37     Mar 12, 2011
  8. I decided to subcribe to trade-ideas.com and us there oddsmaker software to speedup my system development(no easylanguage). Its great for scanning for specific occurences or setups. I live in california the market opens at 6:30am so im trying to develop a breakout system that trades 6:30am to 7:30am automaticly.

#38     Mar 20, 2011
  9. A few years have passed, time for another post perhaps?

#39     Apr 18, 2016
  10. Or perhaps now? If not I'll check back some time around 2025.

#40     Apr 8, 2020