If you are a woman and you join US Army, you'll probably get raped

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kana, Jan 28, 2010.

1. kana

kana

2. mikasa

mikasa

LOL it says woman needs to have a "buddy" to go to toilet

so she doesn't get raped by fellow GIs

what the hell is a woman doing going to Army anyway :eek:

screw the political correctness, I would not trust a woman to watch my back with a gun

I wouldn't

there I said it :mad:

3. That's disgusting plain and simple.

I can see sexual harassment but being concerned about being raped going to the bathroom or taking a shower appalling.

And then being pressured not to report it. I wouldn't hold it against any of those women to not report a friendly fire incident than either.

4. Funny thing, if that was your daughter, niece or sister and they were in the Army, you would probably be supportive.

So based on your opinion, I wouldn't trust you either.

5. kana

kana

If this were to happen to me I think I would look for opportunities in combat to stick a bullet where sun don't shine like you said. Who knows maybe that happens too.

6. mikasa

mikasa

you know TZ, I don't often say you are right, But this this you are right

I apologize

7. its fucked, plain and simple. Government fails constantly.

8. Doji7

Doji7

Jamie Leigh Jones and the Halliburton / KBR Rape and Cover-Up
    Wednesday December 19, 2007
    This story will make you ill.
    Investigative journalist Brian Ross and others at ABC News report on the stomach-churning story of one young woman who suffered rape and abuse in Iraq - at the hands of her co-workers. The incident occurred in 2005 while Jamie Leigh Jones was working at Camp Hope in Baghdad for KBR, a former subsidiary of Halliburton, and it's been hushed up for years:

Jamie Leigh Jones, now 22, says that after she was raped by multiple men at a KBR camp in the Green Zone, the company put her under guard in a shipping container with a bed and warned her that if she left Iraq for medical treatment, she'd be out of a job.
    "Don't plan on working back in Iraq. There won't be a position here, and there won't be a position in Houston," Jones says she was told....Finally...she convinced a sympathetic guard to loan her a cell phone so she could call her father in Texas.

The Houston Chronicle offers additional details:

Jones' family called Poe [Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas] for help....Investigators freed Jones after Poe contacted the U.S. State Department.
    Jones is one of at least four women who have filed federal lawsuits against KBR and its former parent company Halliburton, both based in Houston, following allegations of rape or sexual harassment.

According to her lawsuit filed in May, Jones awoke with bruises on her body, blood on her genital area and ruptured breast implants after being drugged the night before.

L. Todd Kelly, Jones' attorney, said a rape kit taken after her attack confirmed DNA samples from a man found in her bed as well as multiple unknown males. Kelly said the rape kit was lost after Army investigators turned it over to KBR officials.

Photo of Rep. Ted Poe and Jamie Leigh Jones testifying before Congress on December 19, 2007 (c) Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

At the time ABC News initially reported this story on December 10, 2007, little had been done to go after the men who did this:

Over two years later, the Justice Department has brought no criminal charges in the matter. In fact, ABC News could not confirm any federal agency was investigating the case.
    Legal experts say Jones' alleged assailants will likely never face a judge and jury, due to an enormous loophole that has effectively left contractors in Iraq beyond the reach of United States law.

The loophole is a binding mandatory arbitration clause. Because Jones signed a contract which includes binding mandatory arbitration, she essentially signed away her legal rights to take her case to court. According to Public Citizen, a national non-profit public interest organization:

Halliburton is denying her constitutional right to take the perpetrators to court.
    Binding mandatory arbitration agreements like Halliburton's are increasingly common. This means that Jamie, like millions of other Americans, will be forced into a secret, privatized justice system with no accountability. She might even be required to make her case to an arbitrator chosen by Halliburton, with no appeal to anyone else.

The good news is that as of today, the Associated Press reports that a House committee has begun hearings on the incident and its cover-up:

Jamie Leigh Jones was in the House hearing room along with a second woman, Tracy Lee Barker, to tell their stories....Several members of Congress have criticized the Justice Department and other agencies in the case. They say the agencies failed Jones by not properly investigating her claims.

9. if sex is taboo, rapes occur more. you will see the least rapes in countries where sex is not taboo. in the usa sex is very much taboo, so you can expect alot of rape. however in muslim countries there is even more taboo, and thus more rape.

10. Agreed. Take it further and just look at attitudes about nudity. Germany, Spain, and Greece public nudity is not a big deal. Most of Western Europe for that matter.

I remember when I lived in Santa Cruz, where some of the beaches were clothing optional, migrant workers would stare at the women sun bathing nude one guy almost fell down the rocks! :D I asked my Spanish teacher about, a nice gentleman from Mexico originally, and he said you could be raped for doing that in Mexico. He told me his American girlfriend, of Latino origin, walked around the marina in Acapulco with a 2 piece on and he demanded she cover up because this was inviting a lot of unwanted attention.

#10     Jan 28, 2010