If you apply to 759 jobs and get 0 is it you or the jobmarket?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Mar 7, 2010.

1. pitz

pitz

What a shameful attitude! I bet she's just fine.

I don't know how useful a marketing degree is, but the same scenario is being repeated, many times, for people of nearly all backgrounds. Especially in the sciences and engineering (as I described above) where job offers have been fairly rare for the past decade to new entrants.

#21     Mar 7, 2010
  2. pitz

pitz

BTW, her facebook profile:

http://www.facebook.com/amy.shropshire

451 friends on Facebook, Columbus State Community College, Webster University 2003, and Regent's College London.

Hardly the traits of someone who is a 'loser'.

#22     Mar 7, 2010
  3. aegis

aegis

How do you know when she started college? She could have started college at 21-22, which is exactly what I did.

Anyway, the job market is shit and a marketing degree is useless. So, it's a double whammy.

#23     Mar 7, 2010
  4. Not better but definitely smarter than some. I had my turn at being homeless in the 80's, had to live off odd jobs to make ends meet and went days without eating but I never gave up and busted my hump to succeed.

They interviewed a 26 year old guy in D.C. on the news the other day that had been looking for work for 2 years and his employment was about to run out. An exec told him he would hire him at an entry level clerk position. The unemployed guy turned the job down because he said he was qualified for a better position.

I'm definitely smarter than he is.

#24     Mar 7, 2010
  5. seems like a classic example of "no tits......no glory..." :(

#25     Mar 7, 2010
  6. pitz

pitz

Yeah no kidding, if top-quality engineers can't find jobs, what hope is there for the rest of the graduating class in the past decade?

The collapse started in 2000-2001. By 2002, people were being mass-layed off. 2004-2005 rolled around, a few of the people laid off earlier were hired back, along with tons and tons of foreigners. 2006-2007, same deal. Hiring came to a standstill in 2007-2008, and workforces continue to contract.

New grads haven't been able to enter the job market in the past decade, older people haven't seen appreciation in their stock portfolios necessary to finance a retirement. Everyone else stuck in the middle is unhappy. And only a lucky few in the financial industry have made out like bandits.

#26     Mar 7, 2010
  7. pitz

pitz

No you're not. If that 26-year-old had a degree, than an entry level clerk position definitely would be a waste of his time, and a waste of the company's time in hiring him. The 26-year-old would have demonstrated that he is a poor allocator of capital, and is willing to sell himself, and his future employer short.

Fortunately, for the exec, the 26-year-old kid turning the job down probably saved his dumb ass from having to re-train someone for a clerk's position a year or two down the road when the economy does actually pick up. There are many people who are better qualified to be clerks more likely.

#27     Mar 7, 2010
  8. aegis

aegis

Anyone who suggests that an American woman, especially their own daughter, move to the Mid East needs to have their head examined. The only place worth visiting is Dubai, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

#28     Mar 7, 2010
  9. pitz

pitz

And chance are, the daughter wasn't able to find a job in LA precisely because somebody from the Middle East moved to the USA, and was willing to work for cheap.

We see it in the high tech industry all the time, and our 'leaders' have the gaul to suggest that the kids, who are some of the brightest grads ever to emerge from the Universities, aren't trying hard enough to find jobs, when it is the politicians and 'leaders' who have been shipping them overseas or giving them to foreigners domestically for years.

#29     Mar 7, 2010
  10. I think Prof was referring to mid east US

#30     Mar 7, 2010