If you apply to 759 jobs and get 0 is it you or the jobmarket?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Mar 7, 2010.

1. pitz

pitz

I know many Electrical/Computer Engineers who graduated in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, who still haven't been able to find employment. From top-20 universities in North America.

They've sent out thousands of applications, and rarely get replies, nevermind interviews.

In 1999, the same skillset would have landed them all $60-$100k/year jobs. After the collapse of the tech industry, they don't even get acknowledgements. Meanwhile, the traitorous government allows tech firms to claim "shortages of skilled workers", and import people from India on the H1-B visa program.

#11     Mar 7, 2010
  2. Lethn

Lethn

Naw that's people like you who pretend to be better than everyone else on the internet.

#12     Mar 7, 2010
  3. I fit this profile, but I never had any problems finding jobs. What I think is wrong with people is that they don't change their approach. I went so far as to change my resume around 10-15 times and put separate names (that weren't even mine) on the resumes to get a feel for what the employers bit at. Then from there, there were two angles to take:

1) Tell them you use a fake name to avoid getting indexed by search engines and databases, and
    2) Change the name to your original name, ignore the first call, then have your fake person not show up

Yeah, it's not quite honest; but how else are you going to figure out what they want. If you think it'll come from a small blurb, you are wrong. Interviewers have weird mental criteria that has to be probed first.

Just go all out, who cares. Even if you get the job and get fired, it doesn't matter because there's no such thing as a "permanent record", just whether you can come up with a cohesive story and pick up good references from people who believe in you.

#13     Mar 7, 2010
  4. pitz

pitz

The big problem is that tech employers get 100-200 resumes for positions, pick maybe 20 of the resumes at random for screening, call in 5 of those randomly picked screened resumes in for interviews, and hire 1.

Its a system thats so broken that even Linus Torvalds himself probably couldn't get a job as a kernel programmer for Microsoft.

#14     Mar 7, 2010
  5. Actually, I have heard certain countries in the "third world" are booming. The multinationals are adding over 1 million jobs there for a soon to be American (!) wage (due to wage inflation because shortage of qualified personnel is going to increase) in the next few years. Guess where those jobs came from... :p

#15     Mar 7, 2010
  6. zdreg

zdreg

7. Lethn aka "college education is a fraud", is this girl's twin... :D

#17     Mar 7, 2010
  8. I find this unlikely, unless of course, they were 2.30 GPA flunkies at the local frat/sororities or had no clue about things like internships/etc...

#18     Mar 7, 2010
  9. pitz

pitz

Not at all. Most of them are guys with 3.2-3.8 GPA's, perfect English skills, good hygeine, etc. Not 'unlikely' at all, its the reality, the hell that tech grads of the past decade have had to live with, while their jobs have all been outsourced.

Typical tech job since the big collapse in 2000 gets 100-200 resumes, typically.

#19     Mar 7, 2010
  10. spd

spd

I bet she just sucks, honestly. Just a mindless drone who lacks the capability to seperate herself from the herd. Lots of people like her, none of them will ever "get it".

#20     Mar 7, 2010