If we were to go to war with China

Discussion in 'Economics' started by cubical, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Good point. China has not been able thus far to leverage their large consumer base into economic independence. The USA is still the lagest economy on earth-at least for now. In this respect China NEEDS the USA.

#21     Feb 22, 2009
  2. They have nukes. And missiles to deliver them with.

The 3 surviving cockroaches would be expected to repay the debt to the 8 surviving ants.

#22     Feb 22, 2009
  3. > China would never have any incentive to have a physical war with the United States when they've already won the economic war.

A question : this statement presumes that the U.S. is actually willing to work off it's ass to pay off the debt. And it easily could : I don't know the exact number but U.S. GDP is > $1.5 trillion per annum, I believe? But this presumes a paradigm continuance, i.e., that the U.S. continues to be the predominant producer of things that the world consumes : iPods, Windows XP, et al.

Does anyone foresee a scenario where the U.S. loses it's edge and cannot afford to pay off it's debt? For example, losing the technological edge due to lack of interest in mathematics and computer science, letting other nations beat it in the stem cell opportunity, etc;?

That actually could lead to tensions among the 2 nations.

#23     Feb 22, 2009
  4. The US might be the largest economy on earth but it is mostly a consumer based economy right now which is false and can't be sustained forever. China is predicted to become the world's largest manufacturer in 2009:
    http://www.newser.com/story/34652/china-set-to-surpass-us-as-largest-manufacturer.html

During the second world war, the United States built up a huge manufacturing base for the war. Once the war was done, it didn't take long for the American people to consume that manufacturing output. Supply creates its own demand. I predict that China will have no problem to start consuming what they're making.

#24     Feb 22, 2009
  5. I believe iPods are made in China. China also has it's own computer operating system:
    http://tech.commongate.com/post/Chinese_operating_system_approved/

#25     Feb 22, 2009
  6. The Americans would never be crazy enough to engage in a direct war with China, that would be suicidal for both sides. They might try to have an indirect war with China such as with North Korea but where would they borrow the money for such a war? Would they borrow the money for that war from China like they did for the Iraq war?

#26     Feb 22, 2009
  7. It is Linux distro. There's nothing wrong with that, though.

Anybody that thinks a war between the US and China is a good thing needs to be institutionalized immediately.

#27     Feb 22, 2009
  8. Patriotism might lead one to believe that the United States will come out on top of the competition with China but the facts and figures tell me that the opposite is happening.

#28     Feb 22, 2009
  9. Yes, but China doesn't keep the profits that arise from the sale. It's the Apple logo that's doing the selling, the aura of "Designed in California".

The biggest risk to the U.S. is that America/Americans don't look very smart after being scammed out of around $3 trillion by whoever runs the show, and the aura of what it means to be America is at risk. I hope you guys bounce back.

#29     Feb 23, 2009
  10. A war is the best that could happen for the banking industry. Remember, international banker's best profit is war.
    War consumes and demands everything and credit is needed from central bankers.
    I hope we dont see any more wars.

#30     Feb 23, 2009