If we were to go to war with China

Discussion in 'Economics' started by cubical, Feb 22, 2009.

1. cubical

cubical

You guys think I want a war to eliminate some debt? I DO NOT! Just answer the question if you know the answer, if you don't, quit reading.

I will rephrase the question.

If a country is in debt to another country and there is a war between the two countries obviously the payments would stop flowing between them. After it is resolved what would happen?

#11     Feb 22, 2009
  2. I'm not sure if there is a historical precedent for this scenaro.

#12     Feb 22, 2009
  3. I would think the debt situation would make war a less likely event between China and US.

It's a lose lose proposition at best.

#13     Feb 22, 2009
  4. He does bring an interesting subpoint that so much of our behavior is controlled by this invisible man-made concept of debt. What if..

#14     Feb 22, 2009
  5. clacy

clacy

This $900 billion would be a drop in the bucket compared to what a war with China would end up costing. That is a lose-lose scenario, that I think everyone wants to avoid (hopefully).

#15     Feb 22, 2009
  6. I agree. The consequenses would be catostrophic for both sides.
    In this respect Global Trade has benefited mankind. The USA and China are like two convicts handcuffed together. Each one cannot stand the other, but their mutual survival depends on each other.

#16     Feb 22, 2009
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Sorry but that is all academic because the U.S. has already agreed to give Tawain back to China. For their end China forced N.Korea to stop its nuclear program. The deal was cut almost a year ago. We won't be defending Tawain and they are electing pro-Chinese people to their government now so its a done deal.

#17     Feb 22, 2009
  8. I can only hope that you are wrong in in this assesment. As a friend of Free China I hope Liberty prevails. Only the people of Taiwan can really determine the outcome of this. Whereas I support the peacfull reunification of Taiwan to China, I believe the collective will of the Taiwanese poeple be respected. Ethier
    Yes or no or maybe-with certain conditions. It would be a sad day for the freedom movement if China were allowed to devour
    its peaceful neighbor.

#18     Feb 22, 2009
  9. Arnie

Arnie

That's a paraphrased quote from Gen Douglas MacArthur

#19     Feb 22, 2009
  10. Mutual survival? What does China need the US for? They have one billion consumers waiting at home to take the place of the Americans who have spent everything they can borrow.

China has been in an economic war with the US for years. I don't think it was intentional or planned but undeniably China is winning the war. They have already accumulated a tremendous amount of debt from the US. Once the depression is at it's worst and American stocks have hit their lowest point, China will start buying every stock in sight. Then the United States will become economic slaves to the Chinese. I don't forsee that China could do anything else with the tremendous debt that they've accumulated.

China would never have any incentive to have a physical war with the United States when they've already won the economic war.

#20     Feb 22, 2009