iF WE PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NY_HOOD, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dozu888

dozu888

sorry..... by '10 year yield' I meant the 10-year treasury.

#11     Jan 18, 2008
  2. In 2000-2002 we didn't have the entire derivatives market imploding:eek:

#12     Jan 18, 2008
  3. when citi and merrill and bear sterns have to go panhandling around the globe and whore out their common shareholders for Mafia style convert. agreements....

we are in unmapped ground.....

#13     Jan 18, 2008
  4. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

another thing that is a worry. management in the financial sector have absolutely no credibility whatsoever. i think this will continue to weigh on the overall market because the financial's are so important to the overall market. contrary to what the talking heads on wall street say,deep inside they know this credit mess is going to keep getting worse.

#14     Jan 18, 2008
  5. LT701

LT701

also, you have to take into context what has been moving the economy -> consumer spending

this bull was based on perhaps the most desparate and stupid fed action, ever, a deliberatly created housing bubble.

There have been other bubbles, but I dont think any have ever been deliberatly engineered

we have also been outsourcing masses of occupations, manufacturing, and now white collar

what was the consumer spending? rising home equity -> OOPS!

dont got that no more, do we

without continuous foreign lending, interest rates can shoot up

whatever a tank of gass cost before, it's twice that now

inflation is soaring

bottom line is, consumer's buying power is tapping out

shut off revenue, and P/E means nothing - it's like the operating figures of a well that's run dry

#15     Jan 19, 2008
  6. I'll say.

That Pandit can't even appear in public, he looks so wrong for the job. The stock has fallen 5 more dollars since he started.

At least Thain can go on television and get listened to - maybe even inspire you to buy.

#16     Jan 19, 2008
  7. LT701

LT701

one thing too, that i dont know the details on, is that basicly junk paper has been floated all over the place, CMOs, colateralized mortgage obligations

supposedly a reasonably conservative instrument, they lo longer are when they're written on a bloated asset value held by someone with an interest only ARM

so, the CMO instrument gets written down to the forclosure liquidation value

balance sheet bombs, all over the place

#17     Jan 19, 2008
  8. If you read Liar's Poker by Lewis you'll see how the CMO business got started largely by the mortgage department of Salomon Brothers in the eighties. I guess the mess we're in has everything to do with the collapse of global financial institutions who bought into US CMOs.

#18     Jan 19, 2008
  9. #19     Jan 19, 2008
  10. the whole mess is a crisis as long as bankers and politicians cant find a subverted method to shove all of this onto the US taxpayer....

the RTC was floated off balance sheet and was shoveled over 20 years....

now, there are no options which pass the smell test..... ahh the internet is good for something....

#20     Jan 19, 2008