If Us catches a cold, the world does NOT sneeze.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rateesquad, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Please read my article which I will be hopefully posting in my school paper. Add comments and discuss other opinions. Also discuss what is wrong with my article.

Do you remember old saying, “When United States catches a cold, the rest of the world sneezes.” Well if that statement was true through 20th century it might be overstated now. Lets face it United States is not the same power house that it used to be. Some factors might contribute toward such slow deterioration of United States economy as well as its currency. United States economy had grew at 1.6 percent pace in Third Quarter, representing lowest growth in 3 years. Many different factors are contributing to such rapid decomposition of American economy.
    Current trade deficit which is into trillion of dollars and expanding rapidly is contributing toward the demise of this economy. Now, the reasons why trade deficit is rising and most likely will continue to expand is due to the growth coming from Asia. Asia, particularly India and China expanding their economies at 8% and 11% respectively. Most Asian growth is due to exporting, which is usually to Western nations. Now that’s is were trade deficit comes from. American consumers loves to spend, and everybody knows that. Just check nations savings rate which is at -1.9%. That unconventional love toward spending will continue to eradicate United States economy.
    Of coarse, there is many other attributes which help economy slowly to go into a recession. Such attribute is current problem with housing. The sales of residential homes fell astonishing 17.4% on top of a decrease of 11.4% in the second quarter. Such rapid decrease of house sales will of coarse bring economy down.
    Core price index (CPI), which is still at annual 2.4% increase is far above Feds comfort rate which might contribute toward more rate hikes in the future. Such possibility will continue to erode United States economy. Although United States dollar might become stronger which will might result in lowering of trade deficit. One positive in between so many negatives. In conclusion, I think that United States is not as strong economically as it used to be. We strongly will rely on different nations in order to continue our slow economical expansion. This is only a small price which we will pay for globalization and free trade.

http://topgunfinance.blogspot.com/

2. No offense but you cannot make so many grammatical mistakes if you are gonna publish an article... writing in a forum is one thing, but in a school newspaper? Proof read :)

3. Just a rough draft which i wrote 5 min before. I need more input on the article,in order to put it into newspaper. Thats why im posting. It gives me ideas.

4. if anything is going to seriously give the world a "cold", it would be something like a major epidemic throughout the asian areas.

Sure, western countries rely on manufactured goods from these areas-but imagine a new black death, truly virulent bird flu or similiar-what would things cost, then?

BTW, im just pointing out there is NOTHING that would mess with a global economy like that, rather than justifying defacto slave labour, or whinging about the fallacy of opportunity cost or competitive advantage.
    Just to be clear.

5. im sure than some nation in africa or s.america will become new china........that is only if china will be dying of from bird flu and......africans will stop killing each other.

6. Well I had redone my article. I hope there are no more errors in there, also i had added some stuff in there thanks to comment by averageman. The article is due on monday so if anybody has other comment please be free to post.

Do you remember old saying, “When United States catches a cold, the rest of the world sneezes.” Well if that statement was true through 20th century, it might be overstated now. Lets face it United States is not the same power house that it used to be. Many different factors had contributed toward such slow deterioration of United States economy as well as its currency. United States economy had grew at 1.6 percent pace in Third Quarter, representing lowest growth in 3 years.
    Current trade deficit which is into trillion of dollars and expanding rapidly is contributing toward the demise of this economy. Now, the reasons why trade deficit is rising and most likely will continue to expand is due to the growth coming from Asian nations. Asia, particularly India and China expanded their economies at 8% and 11%, respectively. Most Asian growth which is occurring is due to exporting. Those exports are usually end up in Western nations. The exports which end up in Western nations compared to the exports to Asian countries is continuing to grow. Think about it, everything you have in your house beginning from your cloth and finishing in your entertaining area is made or assembled in Asian nations. Such factors are contributing toward increase in trade deficit. American consumers loves to spend, and everybody acknowledges that fact. Just check nations savings rate which is at -1.9%. That unconventional love toward spending will continue to eradicate United States economy and contribute toward rapid economical expansion in the east.
    Many different factors are diminishing United States exports potential versus the exporting potential of Asian nations. Such factors are free trade, labor laws, and healthcare as well as astonishing numbers paid in benefits and job salaries. On the other hand, United States is in a competition with a labor which would be considered to be slaves labor compared to the pay in United States.
    Of coarse, there are many other attributes which help economy slow down enough in order to feel worries of a recession. Such attribute are current problem with housing. The sales of residential homes fell astonishing 17.4% on top of a decrease of 11.4% in the second quarter. Median sales of houses had fell 9.7% year to year, such level had not been seeing since 2005. Such rapid decrease of house sales will of coarse contribute to economical struggle.
    Core price index (CPI), which is still at annual 2.4% increase is far above Feds comfort rate which might contribute toward more rate hikes in the future. Such possibility will continue to erode United States economy. Although United States dollar might become stronger which will might result in lowering of trade deficit. One positive in between so many negatives. In conclusion, I think that United States is not as strong economically as it used to be. We will strongly rely on different nations in order to continue our slow economical expansion. This is only a small price we will pay for globalization and free trade.

http://topgunfinance.blogspot.com/

7. MaxLD

MaxLD

Before you publish this you should know that it's "Of course", not coarse.

8. Spelunk

Spelunk

No offense but this looks like an ESL paper. Learning how to use the word "the" would help immensely.

9. "In conclusion, I think that United States is not as strong economically as it used to be. We strongly will rely on different nations in order to continue our slow economical expansion. This is only a small price which we will pay for globalization and free trade.
    "

This conclusion does not make any sense. Which makes me question if you actually understand anything you are writing about. The point of globalization and free trade was not to make the US economy less strong than it used to be. A price to pay for something implies that we are getting something as valuable or more valuable in return. Why would the US government and US politicians promote a policy (globalization and free trade) which makes our economy less strong.

10. It's truer now than it's ever been.

China, India, Russia, Brazil, Korea, Japan and the Asian Tigers are more dependent on U.S. consumption than they have ever been - hence our record breaking budget deficits.

Will it change at some point in the future? Of course.

But not yet.

#10     Oct 29, 2006