If this weather continues, Chicago pits may be impacted tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nitro, Feb 1, 2011.

1. nitro

nitro

I am motivated to go outside and take some pictures and post them. Man, the weather in Chicago is absolutely brutal. It feels like I am in the North Pole!

Temp: about 20 degrees.
    Wind: Howling at least 50 MPH, making it feel close to zero temp.
    Snow: Coming down like rain, sideways.
    Driving conditions: Extremely dangerous.
    Majority of schools: closed.

I was driving, and I couldn't see the traffic lights until I was almost on top of them. Visibility is probably twenty feet in front of you.

Power problems are possible. I don't know how some of the power lines are staying up in this wind. Chance that a large percentage of people that make markets in Chicago exchanges don't make it in tomorrow? Very high. This may create opportunities in electronic markets...

2. Same here in Peoria, we actually had some thunder and lighting. I will be digging my car out of the garage most of the day tomorrow, snow drifts now about 5 feet high in some spots. Wind blowing so hard that is it whistling thru some of the windows. 12/31/1999 was the worst blizzard of the area till tonite.

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I have relatives that live on Lake Shore and others that live in the south suburbs and one of them works at the CMEGroup...

I talked to her and she's not going to work tomorrow. She spent a few hours today doing some heavy duty grocery shopping to hibernate just in case they can't get out for a few days.

Also, I remember the great big one in 1967...I was just a little kid but I do remember it was dangerous to go outside with all the down power lines laying in the street...some of them making sparks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-1967blizzard-story,0,1032940.story

Mark

4. heech

heech

Just curious, there must be precedent for this. Will the CME actually change pit hours, as NYMEX and NYBOT did a few weeks ago?

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Lakeshore Dr is actually closed. I think that's the first time that has happened since...maybe ever.

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

It could happen.

I feel for those living in Chicago! I live in the South East, and the winds here are supposed to be 40mph, and 39 degrees Wednesday due to the storm.

But Chicago, Brrrrrr!:eek:

7. [​IMG]

8. Ja, those leftist wackos insist this is all due to global cooling.

9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Wow... Is it covered with ice from the lake? In december, the ice was covering the lake shore trail near John Hancock Memorial...

10. nitro

nitro

Sirens abound (ambulances). I am guessing that insurance companies are going to see a spike...

Heat waves often cause the homeless duress. This is 100x worse :(

#10     Feb 2, 2011