If this is true...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Josh_B, Dec 5, 2002.

1. TGregg

TGregg

Found this quote on their website:

"In an effort to reverse the recent decline in the number of manufacturing jobs in the United States, all devices destined for the United States shall be manufactured entirely in the United States."

That makes me a bit suspicious. Also, they claim that folks in cold climates will use about .52 ounces of water per day to heat their house (30 gallons over a 20 year lifetime). Now, I could have told you how much hydrogen is in half an ounce of water, and how much energy you'd get from burning that when I was in High School, but no longer. Obviously on an E=MC^2 level, you'd do pretty well, but we're not talking a direct matter to energy nuclear conversion, we're talking lighting this stuff with a match (more or less).

O is an 8 with an atomic weight of ~16 and H is a 1 with an AW of ~1. That suggests (could be wrong here) that H is about 11% of the weight of that water. So, that half ounce of water will give ya ~.0584 ounces of hydrogen. Not very much at all. I mean, it takes 6 ounces of whiskey just to warm me up :D.

On the Element Table, I see that they list density for H, so let's figure out how much area .0584 ounces of H is (this is pretty much a wild shot in the dark, feel free to post corrections). The number is 0.00008988 grams per cubic centimeter. How do you weight this stuff anyways, since it's lighter than air? Guess ya put the scale upside down on top :D. (J/K of course).

OK, that comes to ~1.656 grams of H. Dividing by the grams/cc gives us ~18423 cubic centimeters. Holy smoke, this stuff sure is light. This would be a cube about 26 centimeters on a side or about 10 inches of hydrogen to heat our house for a day.

That's about as far as I can take the analysis, and it's quite possible that I've made some pretty silly mistakes. Point em out if you see them, and if anybody can tell us how much heat one gets from burning a foot of H, please let us know.

#21     Feb 17, 2003