If this is Armageddon why are Chinese stocks only 12% off this year's highs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Daal, Mar 20, 2020.

1. themickey

themickey

I thought I seen that guy looking over my fence one night, the guy without the hat, yeah I recognize him! :)

#51     Mar 21, 2020
    tommcginnis and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

1. Who said it was Armaggedon?
    2. Stock were overheated by at least 20-30% so we are just down to their normal level.
    3. Chinese government controls? Can you still short stocks there?

#52     Mar 21, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. dozu888

dozu888

they tried that BS in Oct-dec 2018 remember? the story was inflation. but it didn't last long because the rest of the world was going further into the negative rates.

and this virus scare, the rates are going DOWN no?

I have explained extensively in my past posts why inflation is not going up. global trade is one.... cheap labors overseas. but automation and technology advancement is a bigger factor! and it's getting bigger!

we've had massive printing since 2009, but you look at where the money is going... we have the MAGA MSFT AAPL GOOG AMZN dominating the economy and it's only growing. the money flows quickly to the top of the wealth pyramid so you see people like bezos getting super rich while the lower income tier mass don't see any real income growth until recent Trump years they see a slight uptick. the CPI measures mostly everyday mass consumption items that's why you don't see inflation.

but, let's just say in the far future yields do tick up. first of all it's gonna kill the bond investors a lot more... secondly stocks are natural hedges as companies will just raise prices. say if inflation goes from 1% to 4%, historically more than half of that rise is hedged away simply by companies increased earnings from raising prices.

#53     Mar 21, 2020
  4. Well you're in Australia so...

#54     Mar 21, 2020
  5. ironchef

ironchef

And caused their own economy to tank during the first quarter? Their # for Q1 was terrible.

Would Trump do that? No. So, why would Xi?

#55     Mar 21, 2020
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

how much of an effect has the banning of shorting has had I wonder?

#56     Mar 21, 2020
  7. What if they could have stopped the spread, but kept information hidden to ensure that everyone else had the same problem.

Is that different? There is a reason Trumpy keeps calling it Chinese virus.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    #57     Mar 21, 2020
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

"Because he is a turd? Did I win, Johnny? Do I get the car?"

:cool:

#58     Mar 21, 2020
    remogul92 and SunTrader like this.
  9. I am not an expert BUT some preliminary research from India has been released showing that the virus has copied-pasted genome sequences from 3 different viruses. What are the chances of that happening naturally if true? Probably zero.

Now, the probability of them being wrong is probably high. And I wonder if it's true, why the US hasn't replicated such research. Or whether they have just kept it classified for now because if it's true, it's a catalyst for WW3.

Question zero: what are the chances this virus existed in nature?

Don't know the answer to that. But supposedly it's a very effective virus that came from China. A Chinese virus, perhaps.

Btw, it hit me today that the reason I might see new Chinese people around is they are all self quarantining and need to go for walks to avoid cabin fever.

See, not full on Alex Jones.

#59     Mar 21, 2020
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The Chinese and their agents are shorting The US Market and trying to destroy us. Short selling needs to be banned temporarily.

#60     Mar 21, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.