"If there were no God, there would be no atheists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 4, 2009.

1. In that case, who created God?

#11     Dec 4, 2009
  2. Peil travels in circles.

#12     Dec 4, 2009
  3. By peilthecirclingtraveler's reasoning, as encapsulated in the thread title, Santa Claus exists so that those who don't believe in him can also exist. Just go with it.

#13     Dec 4, 2009
  4. You are really missing the big point here though, which is, who created the god ,who created the other god, who then proceeded to create GOD?:D Good God (which one) i need a drink!!!:p

#14     Dec 4, 2009
  5. peil - I won't argue with you regarding god's existence.

The question I will put to you is this:

How are you so sure that "your" god is the right one? Most people on the planet are not christian. Are they all going to hell because they didn't have the "luxury" of being born into a christian community/family?

#15     Dec 4, 2009
  6. jrlvnv

jrlvnv

Faith means not wanting to know what is true

#16     Dec 5, 2009
  7. kut2k2

kut2k2

Yep, willful ignorance is a vital component of most faiths. Perhaps all of them.

#17     Dec 5, 2009
  8. Ah, the venerable "first cause" argument, favourite of freshers' week undergrad logic courses. The universe exists, and nothing can exist without a cause, therefore something must have caused the universe. Aha, that must be god! Except nothing can exist without a cause, therefore something must have caused god. Lol. But god doesn't need a cause! Yeah, and who says the universe needs a cause either? Like most dumb arguments it's flawed by relying on unproven assumptions (such as the notion that everything must have a cause - says who?).

Possible creation explanations:

i) the universe has always existed and thus there was no initial point to require a cause/creation myth
    ii) the universe was created by god or some other being
    iii) the universe was created by a natural phenomenon
    iv) reality does not exist and you are in a sensory illusion
    v) something beyond our current capability to comprehend/explain

Only an arrogant person would think they know for sure what the answer is.

#18     Dec 5, 2009
  9. Those who worship a god display such arrogance.

#19     Dec 5, 2009
  10. Here's smthg for all believer's to ponder..

Doesn't the World behave just as you'd think it would if there were no supreme being :D

#20     Dec 5, 2009