If the US were to become ISOLATIONIST

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. It is at least conceivable that an isloationist US would be a safer US. But few in either party are prepared to be truly isolationist. That would mean withdrawing from the UN and NATO at a minimum, and would of course mean abandoning client states like Israel.

Would political isolation also lead to economic isolation? In some ways again we might be safer, not least from globally spreading diseases that until recently we only heard about on National Geographic specials.

Halfway isolationism would be disastrous, as we would be exposed but unprotected. The parade of horribles KymarFye presented would impact us full force. In effect, that has been our policy up until 9/11. We made a show of force but were not really prepared to use it. BlackHawk Down was our international symbol.

Make no mistake, we are living history that will impact the world for decades if not centuries to come. Aggressive, preemptive, unilateral internationalism is now our policy. Some will criticize it as a return to the days of colonialism, when advanced european nations bent less developed countries to their will. Others see it as our only strategy for survival. History will record, perhaps accurately, who was right.

#11     Apr 23, 2003
  2. Good posts. Thanks to all who have responded.

I eagerly await to hear Alfonso's ideas, but I think this subject has scared him off.

#12     Apr 24, 2003
  3. Is it possible to become an isolationist and be dependent on foreign oil at the same time?

#13     Apr 24, 2003
  4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

No, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

We would have to become totally independant. No imports or exports.

I am for isolationism, but it is not practical anymore. The economy is global.

#14     Apr 24, 2003
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

When you put it this way, and Im sure many think tanks feel the same way.....I would have to agree with the above statement...

Key word being "RESPONSIBLE USE"...because any other way may be far worse..

#15     Apr 24, 2003
  6. Globalism is here, and once you join that mafia there is no way to quit without getting killed.

#16     Apr 24, 2003
  7. Sheesh, you give 'em a thread to present their ideas and they scatter like the French....

#17     Apr 25, 2003