If the odds are 50/50 why do most people lose ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by neveral0ne, May 12, 2010.

1. Try this: Flip a coin with a friend. Each toss is a $1 bet. you start with $4, your friend starts with a $1,000. Let us know how much money you end up with.

#11     May 12, 2010
  2. Redneck

Redneck

What Illiquid said...

And to compound it

People are their own worst enemy

Classic examples

Trader puts on a winning position – gets nervous and exits quickly

Trader puts on a losing position – and for a myriad of reasons can not exit to save their life, or to preserve capital (which is really the same)

I have met the enemy, and the enemy is me

RN

#12     May 12, 2010
  3. spd

spd

How many times have you been stopped out on a trade that continued in your direction? Money management is key.

#13     May 12, 2010

4. MANY TIMES.

How do I fix this ? How do I work may way out of this ?

Yes thats correct too, alot of times once I see green I take profits waaay too quickly, and when I have a loser I give it " more room" than I let the winner, only because I dont want my winner to turn into a loser...so I lower my Stop Loss rigorously to B/E then to minimum 1 tick... then to some s/r that gets taken out..

Any books that I can read to on the money management part and whatever else Im lacking ?

#14     May 12, 2010
  5. You know what you are doing wrong

How do you propose to fix the problem.

I'd suggest a set of rules that you can make yourself follow. If nothing else try and lose as little as possible.

#15     May 12, 2010
  6. Im gona start out by setting a profit target always 2 or 3 times more than my SL .. see how that turns out for the first week.

This is really fun to "learN" and discover oneself....the books dont lie....

#16     May 12, 2010
  7. Redneck

Redneck

Neveral0ne

You can take the next step in one of two ways

Go External – and look for better setups, better money management, some sort of fix all answer… which ultimately you’ll find doesn’t work

or

Go Internal (where the real answer lies) – and basically figure out how to rewire yourself… You need to become more rigid/ disciplined is some aspects, more open and flexible in others

How to do this – lots of objective introspection… lots of identify your shortcomings, lots of forgiving yourself, lots of communication with yourself, lots of trial and error, self discovery, growth, lots of stumbles AND getting back up – all with yourself

No doubt it is a heck of a lot hard work – but it’s the only way I know of

I describe this as a chasm all traders face – build a bridge and come across

Successful Journey Sir
    RN

#17     May 12, 2010
  8. Read Market Wizards. I have found the enemy and he is me. Trading is hard, but not as hard as many pro port.

#18     May 13, 2010
  9. Well sometime,s you hold a trade preety long and it comes back and you say wtf i should have taken profit!!!!
    The market will try to scare you , weak hands against strong hand you need to read that article very nice

#19     May 13, 2010
  10. Gona read market wizards this weekend...just dled both versions. Cant wait.

Thanks to all that replied, may market gods bless you !!

#20     May 13, 2010