If the Marines are indicted should they be sent the Hague for War crimes?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, May 28, 2006.

Should the marines be sent to the hague for war crimes?

1. yes

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. no

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

"Mr. Murtha's Rush to Judgment"

Sunday, May 28, 2006; B06

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/27/AR2006052700846_pf.html

“A year ago I was charged with two counts of premeditated murder and with other war crimes related to my service in Iraq. My wife and mother sat in a Camp Lejeune courtroom for five days while prosecutors painted me as a monster; then autopsy evidence blew their case out of the water, and the Marine Corps dropped all charges against me ["Marine Officer Cleared in Killing of Two Iraqis," news story, May 27, 2005].

So I know something about rushing to judgment, which is why I am so disturbed by the remarks of Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) regarding the Haditha incident ["Death Toll Rises in Haditha Attack, GOP Leader Says," news story, May 20]. Mr. Murtha said, "Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood."

In the United States, we have a civil and military court system that relies on an investigatory and judicial process to make determinations based on evidence. The system is not served by such grand pronouncements of horror and guilt without the accuser even having read the investigative report.

Mr. Murtha's position is particularly suspect when he is quoted by news services as saying that the strain of deployment "has caused them [the Marines] to crack in situations like this." Not only is he certain of the Marines' guilt but he claims to know the cause, which he conveniently attributes to a policy he opposes.

Members of the U.S. military serving in Iraq need more than Mr. Murtha's pseudo-sympathy. They need leaders to stand with them even in the hardest of times. Let the courts decide if these Marines are guilty. They haven't even been charged with a crime yet, so it is premature to presume their guilt -- unless that presumption is tied to a political motive.

ILARIO PANTANO

Jacksonville, N.C.

The writer served as a Marine enlisted man in the Persian Gulf War and most recently as a platoon commander in Iraq.

#21     May 29, 2006
  2. snow

snow

Load The Boat.

You are an idiot , no better than any other fundamentalist who hides their bigotry behind dogmatic zeal...

#22     May 29, 2006
  3. In my humble opinion, Mahram deserves the award for the best hate monger here on ET.

I find it very appropriate that a smelly taxi driving indian arab mutt would get the award. What impresses me is his grasp of english and his ability to type complete sentences all the while knowing that the branch librarian has probably called the police to report that a terrorist has entered and is trying to communicate with other cell members over the internet.

I wonder what the rest of you think about a guy who takes pleasure in posting about every vile, hurtful, divisive, violent event that is reported in the news?

Steve

#23     May 29, 2006
  4. Steve,

Your knowledge of geography is amazing, just like your generalization of people according to their ethnicities. By the way, from when did Indians become Arabs?:confused: :confused:

Or were you refering to Arabs coming to the US or the North American continent and try to assimilate with the native Americans, who are also erroneously refered to as Indians... when they are the true Americans?

:p

#24     May 29, 2006
  5. Canada does not have a death penalty, so for a Canadian to suggest that the American soldiers be put to death if found guilty is strange....

Sounds very much like Mahram's mind is grounded in an Islamic sense of justice......not Canadian law...

This is part of the problem with immigration of any person to a new country, where the laws and customs are different than their homeland....and I suspect why it has been difficult for those from strong fundamentalist thinking countries to assimilate fully in the western world.

Maybe this is the difference between actually immigrating and trying to assimilate into another culture, which in my mind is more like an invasion than assimilation....

This is the problem in America today with the illegal Mexicans, who are not actually immigrating, but rather invading America with their own culture and language....and seems to be the complaint of many Europeans regarding Muslims that have immigrated.

#25     May 29, 2006
  6. no, that is for domestic murders. When we are talking about crimes against humanity. Something that goes against all laws of man and nature, the punishment under international treaty is death. Which canada is a signatory. These men committed crimes against humanity, and should be sentenced to death. ZZZzzz these men went into houses, took little girls in thier pajamas, killed their parents right in front of them, made them beg for their lives, and blew their brains out. These men committed crimes against humanity. Broke the geneva convention. And under canadian law and international law they should be sentenced to death.

#26     May 29, 2006
    #27     May 29, 2006
  8. The death penalty is barbaric. It comes from barbaric thinking, generally grounded in barbaric readings of scriptures....

If a Canadian man goes into a house in Canada, took little girls in their pajamas, killed their parents right in front of them, made them beg for their lives, and blew their brains out....that would not be punishable by death.

The death penalty is not a civilized practice....

#28     May 29, 2006
  9. =================
    Thanks commander /writer IP;

Another big difference in this war, is while the mainstream media usually sides with the enemies of America & Israel;
    we have many more alternate sounces of news now, like CBN,TBN

Remember general Gyp , North Vietnam general, bragged they had the american media on their side., one reason they won.

Simply look on the number of times many in media ignored /lied about the WMD patterns in Iraq ;

Irag used WMD used against Iran[even covered by media years ago]
    Iraq used WMD used against Iraq's own people
    Israeli intelligence proved they moved WMD into Syria.

Thanks;
    all gave some,
    some gave all

:cool:

#29     May 29, 2006

10. Marine Times calling it unprovoked murders.

http://www.marinetimes.com/

on your quotation -

"all gave some,
    some gave all"

these marines disgraced those that served with valor before, this war effort, and their Commander in Chief.

So maybe it should be a Marine is either Active, Retired, Dead.... Indicted, Convicted, Disgraced, and Imprisoned?

They really showed those women and children... .

Morons.

#30     May 29, 2006