if one has $400,000 how much can you make

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Bluegar3, Jan 5, 2007.

1. SUNW is the classic traders stock. It has moved in the same channel for 3 years now and I frankly dont see how it will ever move out. If you just follow the channel, there is no way you can get it wrong. Its a safe trade...

#21     Jan 5, 2007
  2. Plenty of action... sure 3 sites, UB, Full tilt and poker stars all of which if you like playing other professional poker players are great sites to play. If you want fish...it ain't gonna happen.

#22     Jan 6, 2007
  3. You guys must all be young. Doesn't take many years of working and saving to come up with 400k.

Bluegar, I'm an online gambling refugee too. Bad stroke of luck on the legislation getting passed, but at least we had 6-7 years before it got shut down.

I'm looking to get my bankroll into the markets in a more active way.

Traveler

#23     Jan 6, 2007
  4. Billions! Absolutely billions!

You may be a rubbish trader though?

Hope this helps!

#24     Jan 6, 2007
  5. How much do want to make a year, % wise, and how much of drawdown can you handle.

Think along the lines of 50% a year with a 15% drawdown.
    Or 100% a year with with a 25% drawdown.
    Or 300% a year with a 50% drawdown.

Obviously you cant keep compounding 50%+ forever, but on $400K, these types of returns are not unrealistic.

#25     Jan 6, 2007
  6. ehsmama

ehsmama

I can't tell You how much you can make, BUT I can surely tell you as to how much you can LOSE and that is $400,000 and you can safely do it in a day if you wark at it hard enough.

#26     Jan 6, 2007
  7. Tums

Tums

forget about trading, it is a losing proposition for the majority of people.

go open an account with Interactive Brokers. (You can find their banner ad here in ET). Deposit your money in the account, they pay the absolute best interest. Better than putting your money in a bank.

#27     Jan 6, 2007
  8. Congratulations on the poker.
    It should be fairly easy for you to go sideways into trading.

But if you get caught up in the TA scam...
    You will dead end yourself...
    And it will take 10 years to figure out that it's worthless because of high variance.

Educate yourself on quantitative analysis, market-neutral hedging, pairs/basket trading.
    Become a Quant. Become an obsessive hedger.

#28     Jan 6, 2007
  9. I disagree.

Only a very talented, experienced pro...
    Can do 30% over the long run...
    And outperform the market by 20% over the long run.

Soros did about 35%/year over 30 years...
    So your position that any disciplined retail trader can match Soros...
    Is not worthy of discussion.

You probably have not been doing this long enough.
    10 years is required to evaluate someone over an entire market cycle.

#29     Jan 6, 2007
  10. Open an account ASAP on Monday.............GO LONG OIL...ALL IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time oil goes $1.00/$2.00/$3.00, and so on above your entry price, sell 10% of your position.......for each 10% sold ONLY re-enter these positions back for each $1.00/$2.00/$3.00, and so on below you original entry price.......do this for one year.

Take $10,000 out of your account each month for your expenses for one year.....just watch how much you can make after only one year! :D

#30     Jan 6, 2007