If Morgan Stanley goes down, will the closure rumours spread to Goldman?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cutten, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

MS wasn't badly run yet even they are getting affected by the rumours of having to firesale like MER did. If so, that would leave only Goldman as the "last man standing". What do you think are the chances of GS plummeting into double or even single digits in the next month or two? And if it happened, would you be buying or shorting it to $0?

2. in my opinion, neither morgan stanley nor goldman will be left standing before this is all over. its a new era and wall street is changing. the independent investment banks can not survive in the form that they are currently in.

morgan stanley is at least considering a merger (they should merge with JP Morgan and call it JP Morgan Stanley). Goldman strikes me as more "proud" and will probably try to fight it out until they find themselves in the same position LEH was.

goldman is a short from here on out. just my opinion

3. jasonjm

jasonjm

what happens to a company's corporate bonds if they merge or are taken over by someone? (not bankrupt)

I ask because long term GS bonds gotta be yielding like 12% today I bet maybe more

4. Daal

Daal

I'm waiting for a rally to get into the short brokers trade. fnm fre type situation, their demise was obivius yet there was plenty of opportunities along the way. the risk is that they get bought out a big premiums, not unlikely

5. ElCubano

ElCubano

double digits likely perhaps even today...it hit 112 pre market yesterday...single digits now thats a scary thought....peace

6. ElCubano

ElCubano

GS taking an ass whooping...to think i was long today....sheesh...lucky me

7. capmac

capmac

Most likely double digits today or tomorrow....

Who seriously will be loading up on GS now ?

8. ElCubano

ElCubano

the next ten minute bar will take them under 100

9. S2007S

S2007S

at the rate were going there will no brokers left in about 2-3 weeks.

10. JCVR

JCVR

Wow, GS almost at 100! This must mean the bottom is getting close. Two weeks ago people were so positive that they were buying Lehman, AIG and Merrill. Now that those guys, who were losing money, are gone, they are tossing out the few banks who are actually managing to make money!

#10     Sep 17, 2008