If IBM disappoints today...

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 18, 2007.

1. dac8555

dac8555

buy on the rumor....sell on the news.

but still...WTF?????they REALLY beat.

glad i am in cash.

#11     Jan 18, 2007
  2. dhpar

dhpar

ok - time to get in @95 (under 15 projected PE) - sweet.

#12     Jan 18, 2007
  3. S2007S

S2007S

Yea, they did really beat.....This is what I dont comprehend, im bearish but it seems to be sell on the news, good news that is. If we do take a dip in the markets I think they will come back even stronger. I noticed many more beating than missing. I think I would buy some IBM on this dip. I had shares at 99.82, sold them for a small profit about 2 weeks ago. So 94 is looking cheap to me.

#13     Jan 18, 2007
  4. looks like they're trying out the ugly stick at this point...95 is ST support from what I can tell.

#14     Jan 18, 2007
  5. dhpar

dhpar

these markets are really cool. You sell before an announcement, then listen to reasonable results, then wait few more minutes and buy even cheaper: NO RISK ONLY UPSIDE

and repeat in 3 months...:)

#15     Jan 18, 2007
  6. Back down below 95.

I literally see large blocks being dumped on every spike, and small blocks being bought on the dips.

Just like Apple last night.

#16     Jan 18, 2007
  7. dhpar

dhpar

already in the money... C U next quarter

#17     Jan 18, 2007
  8. S2007S

S2007S

IBM beat every single number across the board. Amazing to see the stock trade lower. AMAZZZZZING. I would never have thought to see this stock trading lower on such a powerful earnings report.

IBM (IBM - commentary - Cramer's Take - Rating) beat Wall Street's expectations for the fourth quarter on both the top and bottom lines late Thursday, but late traders were turning their backs on the stock.

In recent after-hours trading, IBM shares were off nearly 4% to $95.66.

Big Blue earned $3.54 billion, or $2.31 a share, compared with profit of $2.26, compared with $3.19 billion, or $1.99 a share, a year earlier.

On a continuing operations basis, the company earned $2.26 a share, which includes a 6-cent-a-share tax benefit.

Excluding the benefit, IBM earned $2.20 a share, beating Thomson Financial analyst estimates of $2.19 a share.

IBM's revenue for the three-month period totaled $26.3 billion compared with $24.4 billion for the fourth quarter a year ago.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had forecast revenue of $25.66 billion.

"IBM had a terrific quarter and a good year with record cash performance, profit and EPS, as well as record payouts to shareholders," Samuel Palmisano, IBM chairman, president and chief executive officer, said in a statement. "We are well-positioned in the growth areas of a changing IT industry, focused on our evolving business model, and poised for long-term success for our clients and shareholders."

IBM global services revenue hit $12.77 billion, rising from $12 billion in the same quarter 2005. Services signings grew 55% to $17.8 billion, the company said.

Software sales totaled $5.65 billion, growing 14% from the same period last year. Hardware, meanwhile, grew to $7.19 billion from $6.9 billion.

#18     Jan 18, 2007
  9. I just saw an institution dump 30,000 shares under $24.88.

What does that tell you.

Booking profits, baby, and no confidence going forward.

This market is a friggin' dog.

#19     Jan 18, 2007
  10. dhpar

dhpar

:cool:

do you mean that institutions that bought before 1995 are now taking profits on IBM? Sounds plausible...

#20     Jan 18, 2007