If Biden wins, is a Stock Transaction Tax likely?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by jonnysharp, Oct 27, 2020.

1. A very small added tax, like an extra commish, would be hella lot better than anything % based on trade value. That would suck big time and wipe most of us out... :(

#21     Oct 27, 2020
    10_bagger and jonnysharp like this.
  2. Guess that's a nice hedge they've got there, but they'll likely get full exemptions and us little guys will pay the price although I'm sure the big end of town would rather the little guy keep playing untaxed too since volumes will reduce if this goes through so their trading profits will be lower.

#22     Oct 27, 2020
    clacy likes this.

3. If Biden is declared victor, a FTT will be the least of your worries.

#23     Oct 27, 2020
    clacy and KCalhoun like this.
  4. smallfil

smallfil

Capital tax gains being raised is a much greater concern because it would take a huge chunk of your profits. Financial firms in New Jersey already threatened to leave the state and Democrats backed down. Of course, if Joe Biden wins, he is going to raise taxes on corporations to 35% from the current 21%. That alone will affect earnings of companies by a huge amount.

#24     Oct 27, 2020
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

MAGA Make America Gripe Again .... and Again .... and Again.

White Karen's and Ken's answer the call to arms.

#25     Oct 27, 2020
  6. It would be at the top of my worries as I would rather pay more tax on gains than not make any gains at all, a 0.40% round trip tax would force me to stop short term trading.

#26     Oct 27, 2020
    Maverick2608 and 10_bagger like this.
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

FX Spot account so I'm all good, until they change there legislation again, the 20:1 margin in the UK nearly killed me off, 2 years ago.

My Average Scalp is 8pts on NQ, 1pt spread so 12.5% cost per trade, 0.4% ontop wouldn't bother me.

#27     Oct 27, 2020
  8. smallfil

smallfil

Have switched a good part of my trading capital to position trading now for this reason. Long term capital gains will still get preferential tax treatment in any case.

#28     Oct 27, 2020
  9. zdreg

zdreg

There is no stock day trading as a career at the retail level or hft trading around the world with a FTT. Anybody who tell you differently is talking nonsense. I have shown the numbers before but people believe what they want, including one idiot who said that day traders will gravitate to trading US government bonds.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    #29     Oct 27, 2020
    FSU and KCalhoun like this.
  10. zdreg

zdreg

Based on some of your recent posts what you are smoking lately? A democratic congress and a
    democratic president is something to fear. Biden by himself cannot ruin the country. He needs a compliant congress.

#30     Oct 27, 2020