If Baghdad Wants Us Out, Let's Go!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scataphagos, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Authored by Patrick Buchanan via Buchanan.org,

Yes! By all means. Let's pull out, let them Islam the SHIT out of each other and settle their own quarrels.

Let's not be hypocritical.... we wouldn't give a CRAP about the ME if it weren't for their oil reserves. (How much better off would we be if we'd just let them develop their oil on their own... then bought it from them on the world market? What, $TRILLIONS in wasted treasure and 10's of THOUSANDS of lost lives... when we never really had any business being in there in the first place?)

:(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Yeh, well, the Iraqis have to be careful about Trump playing three dimensional chess too. If Iraq continues to be taken over by Iran and continues to descend- again- into chaos then the Kurds will continue to try to split off as a separate country. And when we talk about Iraq having oil, we are really talking about the Kurds having the oil. And Trump does like to do a deal even though he likes to give fingers to others who he does not want to do a deal with. And Trump does love oil too.

3. Yes, but oil is a world-wide market. If you can't buy it from one place, you get it from another.

America "invaded" the ME in an effort to effectively CONFISCATE/STEAL their oil. That's what conquering forces do. Unfortunately, hasn't worked out all that well for us.

4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Trump plays pre school checkers fool

5. Banjo

Banjo

6. All that being true, I was stating what Trump's disposition appears or would appear to be if Iraq threatens to boot us out and he is the one they have to deal with.

7. Seems a different issue.

America "invaded" the ME on the premise of "human rights, freedom, democracy for all". That was a false premise, 'cause all we really cared about was their oil.

Now that America has developed our own oil resources to the point of becoming a net EXPORTER... makes all warring actions in the ME seem stupid and wasteful.... tragic, even.

8. UsualName

UsualName

The Iraqi government is very weak. Without a patron state supporting them, Iraq will fall into chaos.

If we cede Iraq, Iran will simply walk in take control and the Iraqi government will accept them with open arms.

This would amount to a monumental loss for us, as Iran is a true enemy. Their ability to draw resources and troops along with expanded transportation and commerce would increase their threat that much so.

Leaving Iraq is a terrible idea.

9. The Iraqi government will accept them but that is because the Iraqi government is a shia Iran puppet. It's like this resolution to boot the Americans out. Not a single sunni or kurd signed up for that. So the government may accept it, but the sunnis and the kurds. Ahh. no. That is just where and when the action begins.

Full disclosure: I am rooting for the Kurds to get the fuck out of Iraq.

UsualName likes this.
  10. Wallet

Wallet

There was a time when ME oil was necessary to keep our economy going, we basically drilled everything to have it all nationalized but with that came lucrative contracts to maintain and equip it all, plus the availability.

You’re correct in the underlying motivation, but we’re not dependent on ME oil now but big $$ interests and lobbyists keep us in the sand pit regardless of who sits in the White house.

Today ME proxy wars are all about control of the region. Who has the upper hand and over exports.

Regardless of that crap you hear in the news. The major players on both sides of the aisle have been bought and paid for by the defense and oil contractors. That’s why it doesn’t matter which party has power, nothing changes.

#10     Jan 7, 2020