If anyone you care about has severe refractory depression problems, HERE IS THE CURE:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Oct 15, 2005.

Does R.M. know more about treating 'incurable' depression than most psychiatrists?

1. RM is full of shit. Another useles junkie trying to justify his habit.

26 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. I don't know, but I have an open mind.

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. This all seems very strange, but very logical. I think he just may be right.

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. I know for a fact that every single word of this scientifically proven method is 100% true.

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. stephenjs

stephenjs

I really don't have a clue as to what you are referring to. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "get down to business" and "keepin on with your game"? Thanks(not really)

#171     Feb 3, 2009
  2. Playing dumb will get you everywhere here at ET...

#172     Feb 3, 2009
  3. stephenjs

stephenjs

I honestly think you have me confused with someone else. I posted on this board because I believe I have endogenous opioid deficiency and could benefit from RM's knowledge. I get it - you hate the idea of medicine being used to cure someone of depression. You want people to suffer. That is your purpose in life. What happened to you to make you this way?

#173     Feb 3, 2009
  4. steph,
    ignore him

#174     Feb 3, 2009
  5. You get testy quite quickly.

Perhaps there is some drug you can take for that?

In any case, if you think there is no mind body link, if you think treating the type of mental illness RM suffers from through the use of drugs alone without working on the mind through therapeutic modalities, then very best of luck to you in your own recovery process...

Of course, a real junkie longs for a simple cure that doesn't require any type of analysis of the underlying mental illness and correspondent thinking...

They just want to find a way to keep getting high to avoid the low that always follows.

Suggesting to a junkie that they will have to change their thinking, let go of their resentments, humble themselves to a higher power...

Well, "fuck that" they say, they think "just get me a drug so I can fix..."

Question to you, do you know the difference between being dry (clean) and living in a state of sobriety?

I don't hate the idea that medicine is used to cure someone of depression, I simply don't like that we have a society that thinks that is going to happen without having a goal of sober living and all the hard work internally that has to happen in the mind.

A dry drunk and a clean junkie are not sober until the mind is purified...

#175     Feb 3, 2009
  6. stephenjs

stephenjs

Actually I'm not a junkie. I've had problems with depression and anxiety since I was a young child. I have been going to therapists for nearly 35 years. I was prescribed a cough syrup containing hydrocodone when I was a teenager. That medicine completely erased my depression and anxiety. I wasn't hooked on it. I had no refills. Recently I've discovered that other people have had the same experience with opiates. There is some good scientific evidence as to why people with a major depressive disorder respond favorably to these medications. It has nothing to do with addiction.

#176     Feb 3, 2009
  7. Glad to hear that you don't think you are a junkie. Hope that is a reality and not some form of denial for you.

The concept of "curing depression" is not always medically accurate one.

You might be in remission, but that is not the same as cured.

So far there has not been a medical cure for depression. There are various treatments that work on some of the people some of the time, both through attacking the problem on the purely physical level, or on the purely mental level...or a combination of both.

So the physical and/or psychological treatments work to alleviate the symptoms of depression in some people some of the time but not all people all of the time.

Some never get relief, and some try to fix the pain on their own by self medication (like RM) and some just learn to live with the symptoms.

For lack of a better analogy consider this:

A man is in a dark room, and as a result of the darkness he cannot see beauty and he feels depressed. He tries everything he can to remove the darkness so that he can see beauty and be happy, but he fails over and over again.

A beautiful women enters the dark room unbeknownst to the man, and flips on the light switch which the man couldn't see while stuck in the dark, and by a miracle the man's depression lifts as he sees the beauty of the woman.

So what was the cause of the man's depression and what was the cure? Was there a pathological cause of his symptoms, or were the symptoms purely psychological in nature?

Do some people have chemical imbalances? No doubt.

Does the mind and thinking impact brain chemistry? No doubt again.

Does it make sense that people who are unable to achieve a lasting peace of mind with drugs ignore the psychological aspect of their own mind as part of the problem?

Not to me it doesn't.

By the way, short term studies on relief from depression through the use of some drugs are not all that helpful in the long run. This is precisely why we don't see anti depressants from 50 years ago work with consistency, and most psychiatrists don't recommend older drugs because of the side effects that became known over time and the fact that the drugs did not rectify the problem.

Depression has been around as long as mankind, and there is no known drug that cures it...but people find ways to cope with it...some positive for them and their society, some destructive for them and their society.

If there were a cure for depression through a drug, people would be taking that drug and living happy lives...but that is not the reality, especially in America were we take more drugs for depression than anywhere else in the world and yet show a huge failure by the medical community to find an answer to the continuing problem.

If someone thinks they can cure their depression without having to change their mental and personal problems simply by taking a pill, well...good luck to them.

I don't see the science to support such a belief...

No, RM's condition is not like a diabetic who has to take insulin or they will surely die. I don't doubt that being drug free makes him feel like he wants to die...but that is not the same as physically needing a drug or medication to stay alive.

RM ignores the psychological aspect of his condition, because he doesn't want to change his thinking...he just wants to kill the pain with a fix.

I don't see the genius in that at all...

#177     Feb 3, 2009
  8. stephenjs

stephenjs

Well, Right now I'm taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin and they don't work but if I quit taking them the withdrawal is worse than what I started it for.

#178     Feb 5, 2009