If a Sizable Correction Were To Take Place, What Would be the Reason?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, Feb 17, 2011.

If a Sizable Correction Were To Take Place, What Would be the Reason?

1. Geopolitical Problems

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No More QEs

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Disappointing Earnings

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Strong Possibility of Rising Interest Rates

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Technical Glitch (similar to Flash Crash)

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Profit taking

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  7. High Unemployment

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Other

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. That's okay by me. Suppose I renamed the "election" cycle and call it the "4 year psychological" cycle. Faces change, companies expire, new ones appear, old news is well, old news, we wait for new news. Every crisis is different. Every politcal process brings on new and different unintended consequences yet human nature never changes. "Stuff" has a habit of repeating every 4 years.

#31     Feb 18, 2011
  2. I thought selling = buying by definition. Maybe you meant lower buying prices then selling prices. This makes a hell of a difference.

#32     Feb 18, 2011
  3. i don't believe anything drastic will be done to the banks EVER. they were allowed to survive in 08-09 by both the Dems and Reps.

what is RTL?

#33     Feb 18, 2011
  4. Didn't the descent already start? What is the reason then?

#34     Feb 18, 2011
  5. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

What descent ? We're in a trending bull market. This condition hasn't changed since September. Nothing technical supports a reversal play except possibly some resource stocks. POT, TCK, AGU all dropped late in the week.

The quicker you got into your QQQQ short the more money you'd lose. That should be telling you something, and its not your usual opinion that the short is "even better".

Here's my tip for next week. Long ABX. 20%+ upside potential in next two months. Much better risk/reward then any short right now. Any market correction ( which I doubt will happen ), Gold's going to make new highs.

#35     Feb 18, 2011
  6. I am technically oriented so I use a TA glossary. For me price tredes in bands that have limits. If you are oriented to price movement in donimant or non dominant directions, the moves are right to left and left to right, respectively.

When trends change, a boundary is broken; it is always the right boundary which I call Right Trend Line.

for this Depression the RTL is still being set. Once that point is determined the dominance of the Depression will move price away from the RTL for a while (10 to 12 years). since Depressions are "short" channels, going from right to left treanslates into price dropping over the period.

Trends have three parts: dominant, non dominant and dominant. March marks the end of the first move of this Depression. Now the second, non dominant move is being completed; it is commonly called a Bear market retrace and it appears to most market observers as a Bull retrace.

Once the retrace is completed the full force of this Depression comes into effect. this is when most of the wealth people have "evaporates". The "baby boom" generation is probably noticing this most. They have no chance of waiting out the Depression and better times arriving.
    my exprience was to be born in 1933 in a depresion. You could say I grew up with my parents having a depression mentality.

As I left college and began to build wealth, it was very unsettling to my relatives bcause I made it a point to wxtract the market's offer from the beginning.

This Depression is a great opportunity to acquire wealth, based upon price change. Now we can automate the extraction in all markets and there is the advantage of the leverage available. This is a minority point of view a usual.

I think of the last movement in a Depression as falling off a cliff for most people. Those of us who are TA market savvy are relishing this opportunity even though for most people hard times are ahead for them.

Everyone has a chance to acquire knowledge and skills. In Democracies freedom is combined with the free enterprize system. Choosing to not take advantage of the opportunity is something you see every day. Look at the financial industry and see how financial planners are really not serving the intrests of their clients. The whole retirement system of the US is failing badly and, it seems, there is an expectation that people expect the government to meet its obligations with respect to SS and CMS. CMS is the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. All of the capital in each was "borrowed" by the government and the retrun on the borrowing was way below the dollar's devaluation and cost of living for the public. It would have been nice to have the government "invest" this capital but that was nevr a political possibility. The life time of required contibutions is not going to be able to service the needs of the elderly since they do not have representation in the lobbying system.

Immunity from goverment dependence comes from knowledge, skills and experience. and participation in the free enterprize system (through ownership).

The US became the greatest debtor nation under Reagan if you wish to review this tradegy that happened. I've worked at EOP under four administrations as a problem solving consultant. The closest we ever came to energy self-sufficiency was during he Carter administration.

Now, globally, we are moving into the major period of resources becoming scarce. Food and energy are typical of the problem. In 1978, the Mennonites collectively determined to consume 10% less food as their major acknowledement of the situation. I participated in the Club of Rome global anaysis effort. At that time, it was determined that, in global terms, the world had reached its maximum level of performance (as measured in satixfaction units). There is no way that those days will ever be resumed.

A lifetime is short in terms of global change; for me, it was very interesting to live through the period when things reached thier peak.

Now, acquiring wealth has become a borderless opportunity. Only small portions of the population still have this ability.

#36     Feb 18, 2011
  7. Jack, is there a chance US won't dip into Depression?

#37     Feb 18, 2011
  8. No, not in my opinion. My refletion is based on 53 years of trading and four stints at EOP as a problem solver.

#38     Feb 19, 2011
  9. Geopolitical Problems 9 23.08%
    No More QEs 10 25.64%
    Disappointing Earnings 0 0%
    Strong Possibility of Rising Interest Rates 3 7.69%
    Technical Glitch (similar to Flash Crash) 1 2.56%
    Profit taking 7 17.95%
    High Unemployment 0 0%
    Other 9 23.08%
    Total: 39 votes 100%

Nobody has picked "High Unemployment" and "Disappointing Earnings" so far. What's the explanation for this? Are both generally considered lagging indicators?

#39     Feb 20, 2011
  10. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Shortie, you can hitch your wagon to proven losing traders like Jack Hershey and Fly Down. Or you can get better mentors. Your money doesn't care who advised you its going to only reflect the quality of your trades. Bet on a US Depression and the only depression you'll find is a depressed trading account and an exhausted patience waiting for the big collapse to happen.

Reading Jack Hershey's posts he has extreme problems expressing himself clearly which alone would give me pause to question his judgement.

#40     Feb 20, 2011