IE goes blank "Invalid syntax error"

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Kicking, Apr 28, 2004.

1. That's 4 people who have the same problem now ! Well hopefully someone can find a solution. As for me I downloaded Mozilla (light setup) on the other PC, put it on a floppy (that PC is the one that DOESN't have any zip drive or CD burner of course!) and installed Mozilla on the infected PC. Now I don't like Mozilla much maybe I will try Slim browser while looking for a fix for IE.

#21     Apr 29, 2004
  2. Add one more to the count. I've experienced the same problem on my desktop, which runs Win2k, since yesterday afternoon. Also, the Esignal data manager won't start on it now either. Any info/help for us non-techies would be greatly appreciated. This really sucks.

#22     Apr 29, 2004
  3. Indextrader,

Yeah I noticed the same thing after i read your post yesterday. I can't change the LAN settings either: "automatically detect settings" is unchecked as everything else . If I check it then click OK, I can't close the window and the change is not in effect. Not sure which setting I had btw.

I have NAV but never updated it.

#23     Apr 29, 2004
  4. with Windows XP Pro, the problems started after I downloaded some other 'free' browsers (Slimbrowser and Avant) two days ago, my CPU was hitting 100% usage most of the time and kept disconnecting the net connection yesterday, today it gets to 100% quickly after I use IE6 for a while. Some nasty MF virus. I cannot send email from my yahoo email webpage because IE gets closed on 'Send'. That must be something really bad. Anyway, have you guys fixed this problem. Please let me know.

#24     May 1, 2004
  5. Had the same problem on my win 2k computer, deleting using add remove does not work, deleting using right click deete didnt work. It did delete it but when I click on the IE icon hoping to get a "can't find program " it finds it again and voila they ie.exe reanimated again.!

I think I might have solved the problem by going into program files->internet explorer and deleting the files not the folders there instead of using add/remove.

Just be sure that you have backup files of important stuff bec. every setup is different and I am not sure of the exact steps I took because I was in panic mode and was doing anything and everything and fortunately for my setup it worked..for now..

#25     May 1, 2004
  6. Did this start happening after you downloaded IE6 SP1 to your win2k box? If so, open up a command prompt and type:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\dispex.dll

problem solved?

#26     May 1, 2004
  7. One minute the computers going on line the next no internet with the same error message as the others.

My IT guy, who is a friggin' genius and to the best of my knowledge has never failed to fix a computer problem said he had no clue what caused it. In trying to ascertain the cause he eventually blew up IE so we grabbed an extra scci hard drive and reinstalled the OS.

I hope the problem does NOT stem from this site as others are also complaining about the exact same thing! No clue!

#27     May 2, 2004
  8. FYI: THE ISSUE HAS SPREAD ON MY CPU FROM THE INTERNET EXPLORER PROBLEM TO ANOTHER AREA. I AM NOW GETTING THE "NT/AUTHORITY...SYSTEM WILL SHUTDOWN IN 60 SECONDS..." MESSAGE.

I remember this virus from a couple years ago. As a temporary thign, I know that in WIN-NT you can stop this from happening on the fly by goign to run and typing in "shutdown -1" when that message appears. However this doesn't work in WIN-2k. Does anyone know how to do that command in 2k?

Been going through my whole computer to try and find what is causing this. I come up with nothing. Norton and a couple of adware programs are not finding anything.

Like some of you, I can't seem to get IE fully off the computer. My current fix to get on net is putting a copy of another browser on CPU (netscape).

The latest thing I've found that might be a possibility, is a worm that uses these exe's:

smss, csrss, lmhsvc

I would like to delete these, but am aware that at least the first 2 are regular windows exe's, and so don't want to delete them w/o comfirmation that it's ok to do so.

http://www.avp.ch/avpve/worms/win32/ladex.stm

Wondering if this might be the deal. Don't thing so though, b/c when I looked up those files, I find that they have been on my cpu for years, without problems. Can't come up with anything.

Looks like last resort to get rid of this menace is coming on fast: Windows reinstall. What a pain in the ass.

#28     May 2, 2004
  9. #29     May 2, 2004
  10. Forgot to mention this...
    Had a friend's computer for repair recently, she had one of these worms that had latched onto her Norton's Antivirus. Every time the PC booted Norton's would alert that there's a virus, and every time she clicked the button to acknowledge the alert the virus would propagate, then Norton's would alert again - endless loop. Was able to go in Safe Mode and delete the virus created files, then installed the free antivirus at:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
    updated it, and used it to eliminate the worm (netsky).
    There seems to be a bunch of similar worms out there right now.

hope this helps,
    smitty

#30     May 2, 2004