IE goes blank "Invalid syntax error"

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Kicking, Apr 28, 2004.

1. You don't have a 2nd machine with which you could download and copy over, networked?

#11     Apr 28, 2004
  2. tcosync

tcosync

There is a cab file called ie6setup in your computer. Do a search for it and run it. It should reinstall/repair your IE.

Hope this works!

#12     Apr 28, 2004
  3. Index trader:
    never got my 2 machines to exchange files, one on win 98, the other on Win 2K. I just don't how to do it. I have a D-link switch. I can see my roommate computer on the network, can only see one of my PC . I just gave up.

yES I have IE 6 setup. Do i need to first delete IE in add/remove programs or I can just run the setup again?

#13     Apr 28, 2004
  4. #14     Apr 28, 2004
  5. there is probably something running at startup that changes the registry entries , otherwise how come the reinstall did nothing? I amgiving up for today. I am getting sick just thinking about this.

#15     Apr 28, 2004
  6. Kicking,

I had the exact same problem! It started on Friday, and it also caused MS Outlook to fail with an error something like Wininet.dll file is corrupted. Unfortunately, I tried everything and wasn't able get Explorer or Outlook to work. I finally solved the problem by reinstalling Windows. I suspect it is some type of virus, but I scoured the web and could not find any mention of this problem.

Good luck - sorry I couldn't offer an easy solution.

Slave2Market

#16     Apr 28, 2004
  7. If I remove IE with add/remove programs then do the install again. Is there a chance it will work this time. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Do I have to reformat if I do reinstall Windows?

#18     Apr 29, 2004
  8. PXG

PXG

I started to have the same problem yesterday.
    I removed IE through Add/Remove Programs successfully, but IE is still on my computer, although the icon disappeared from Add/Remove programs. I can't delete the IE folder from Windows Explorer, because it says there is a sharing violation. I can't install, because it says it is already installed. Instead it offers to "re-install all components", which I did, but didn't help.
    The only option I see is to re-install Windows.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

#19     Apr 29, 2004
  9. On IE file menu>tools>internet options>connections>LAN settings...are you then able to close out of Local Area Network(LAN) Settings by clicking OK?

That's 1 thing I've noticed I'm not able to do on this computer but can on all others.

I have Norton AntiVirus, do you?

Also, a few days ago, computer reported something to the effect of Backdoor.Trojan virus but at the time I ran NAV and nothing was found infected.

How does that compare?

As for fixing this crap, I've unistalled/reinstalled IE and same garbage, so I'll probably reinstall window this weekend.

Not a fun project especially since this installation is only 3-4 mos. old.

#20     Apr 29, 2004