'Idiot-Savant' Traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rearden Metal, Apr 1, 2006.

'Idiot-Savant' Test: www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html How'd you score?

1. Under 12 (Diplomat)

20 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 13-25 (Pretty normal)

118 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. 26-31 (Almost there, but not quite)

84 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. 32-40 (Looks like I might be one...)

45 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. 41-50 (Rain Man)

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Who got the rain man score?

#21     Apr 1, 2006
  2. #22     Apr 1, 2006
  3. Probably a very rich trader. No joke.

I was initially reluctant to publicly share my score with the rest of you. However, now that many have been brave enough to share their own results:

<b> I got a 37! :eek: </b>

While all of the doctors completely missed it (as usual), I've long had this lingering suspicion that I may actually be a very high-functioning autist. For those of you who know me personally: Do you think this is really a possibility?

Indeed, my uncanny pattern recognition skills are without question the force behind my career successes. Flat broke, pitifully uneducated, and borrowing rent money from family members at age 21, I became a self-made millionaire at age 24. But still, the price tag for this rare skill is awfully high. Those who scored above 32 probably know exactly what this price is- and may even wonder if living with <b>The Curse</b> is far too high a price to pay... just in order to earn a few million dollars.

P.S. It is commonly known that Albert Einstein and Issac Newton were most likely Idiot-Savants/ Asperger's afflicted/ High-functioning autists. But how about Howard Hughes? I can identify far more with Hughes than any of those other historical geniuses.

#23     Apr 1, 2006
  4. NO - YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG. Savants and people with Asperger's Syndrome are 2 completely different things.

Anyone who replies to this thread without knowing the difference is a moron.

Most Aspies (people with Asperger's Syndrome) do not have savant skills. It is thought that Newton and Einstein were Aspies, but they were not savants.

It is impossible for someone to be an Aspie and not be on the Autistic Spectrum (Dis)order. However, there have been cases of savants who have not or are not on the ASD.

If you are going to start a thread like this, get your facts straight.

#24     Apr 1, 2006
  5. 32. Hope your right about pattern recognition being usefull.

#25     Apr 1, 2006
  6. I'm an 8.

In trading I let the computer and systems I design do the trading

I can spend hours and hours designing a system....but am bored doing the actual trading...would rather have a people job.

#26     Apr 1, 2006
  7. *sigh*??? Andrew? You've been a close friend for quite a few years now, and you know my personality and my life inside out.

Would you <b>really</b> wish to trade your will to live and your happiness- in exchange for a life of material riches... accompanied by constant torment, discomfort, burning rage and frustration, and insane hypersensitivity to many assorted sights and sounds?

Would you like to have spent the past six years <b>not once ever</b> setting foot in a movie theater, since any one of the hundreds of audience members has the power to ruin your entire moviegoing experience by just talking loudly, jangling his keys, chewing loudly,or 50 possible other movie ruining distractions?

Would a couple mil in your pocket really be worth the price of becoming physically/mentally ill nearly every time you're exposed to warm temperatures (indoors or out)? Being unable to sit down in public places unless your back is to the wall, thus preventing the dreaded feeling of people walking behind you? Would these few million bucks be worth the price of inadvertently fucking up most of your friendships and romantic relationships?

Just be careful what you wish for...

#27     Apr 1, 2006
  8. Reacting with uncalled for hostility, instead of politely and patiently correcting a perceived factual error... Hmmm, that's also a common aspie behavioral trait, is it not?

I'm an expert in many fields, medical and otherwise. However I freely admit that I am NOT very well read in the field of autism research.

#28     Apr 1, 2006
  9. promagma

promagma

I scored 29.

<b>Autism spectrum = mercury poisoning.</b> There is a genetic component (APO-E4, GSTM1 and also GSTP1) where some people (me) cannot detoxify heavy metals. Even small exposure from vaccinations and dental fillings accumulate in the body. Due to the nature of mercury, it cannot be diagnosed in one shot, and is medically challenging to detox, taking months or years. Because of this many people debate the mercury link - but unlike me they haven't seen autistic children coming back to life, progressing from autistic child -> ADHD child -> normal. And unlike me they haven't felt their own mind creeping back to life with chelation treatments.

So I am getting better! Six months ago I probably would have scored > 35.

Information about mercury here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller14.html

#29     Apr 1, 2006
  10. OMG promagma!

You mean there's a chance I can lower my score down from 37 to a comfortable number? Fuck yeah, I'd do that!

Even if this cure were to completely destroy my 'superpowers', it would still be worth it.

#30     Apr 1, 2006