'Idiot-Savant' Traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rearden Metal, Apr 1, 2006.

'Idiot-Savant' Test: www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html How'd you score?

1. Under 12 (Diplomat)

20 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 13-25 (Pretty normal)

118 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. 26-31 (Almost there, but not quite)

84 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. 32-40 (Looks like I might be one...)

45 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. 41-50 (Rain Man)

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. If you've read 'The DaVinci Method' and you've seen that unapologetically kickass movie; 'Wanted' with Angelina Jolie, you've no doubt drawn a straight mental line between the two.

If you're a Davinci type yourself, I'm sure you can totally relate to Wanted's protagonist- a frustrated & bored DaVinci standing at the fine line between extraordinary talent and crippling neurosis; fully aware that he's capable of greatness, but not quite knowing how to unleash his true potential on his own.

______

"I'm finding it hard to care about anything these days. In fact the only thing I <i>do</i> care about is the fact that I can't care about anything. Seriously, it worries me."

…

"Insanity is wasting your life as a nothing when you have the blood of a killer flowing in your veins. Insanity is being shit on, beat down, coasting through life in a miserable existence when you have a caged lion locked inside and the key to release it."

#171     Jan 16, 2009
  2. Neat thread. Hyperfocused my way through it and came upon some interesting observations. Whether it's ADD or Asperger's or something else, there are traits I see in myself.

Scored 35. Would have scored higher except I've made lots of effort to be social the last 5 years or so. Hardly said a word before that. Sometimes I feel like I'm an actor fooling people in this regard.

I watch movies in the theater but I go when there's not many people, wife and I take our customary favorite seats - I'm militant about noise - often telling people to be quiet. Almost got into a fight once.

Interestingly, I do sit in a restaurant facing as many people as possible. Wife has stopped worrying and just accomodates most of my habits.

Not sure if it translates into trading ability.

#172     Jan 16, 2009
  3. donnap

donnap

I scored a 27 and I don't care what any of you think about that. I'm perfectly happy sitting here all alone.

#173     Jan 16, 2009
  4. 28.
    28. Definitely a 28.
    Yea, 28.
    Slow in the driveway.

#174     Jan 16, 2009
  5. Well, this is kinda strange: Three years ago I scored a 37, yet today it dropped all the way down to 28.

How did this happen? Some possibilities:

*Many of you made comments on how you think your score was probably way higher when you were younger. Maturity and experience can help one eventually learn to adapt those skills that seem to come to others so naturally... like intuitively reading other people's true intentions, for example.

*I'm no longer addicted to opiates. People have commented that I appear to act far more 'normal' when I'm clean.

*I really REALLY wanted my score to drop... 'Law of Attraction' and all that, I suppose. My comment three years ago regarding my willingness to sacrifice my unusual abilities in exchange for a reduction of all the maddening hypersensitivity is ironic, because that's exactly what has happened. High temperatures don't make me nearly as distressed as they used to, but I can't seem to trade worth a shit anymore. "Be careful what you wish for..."

#175     Jan 16, 2009
  6. I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm envious of the abilities of a savant.

#176     Jan 16, 2009
  7. heypa

heypa

Scored 31. Damn.In the middle again.Neither fish nor fowl. Doomed to mediocrity as always. I know my weaknesses and I can live with them.

#177     Jan 16, 2009
  8. heypa

heypa

Well most of them. I thought some of the questions were poorly structured. Was looking for "When did you stop beating your wife? type.

#178     Jan 16, 2009
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Just took it. I scored 16. On Myers-Briggs I'm an INTP.

#179     Jan 17, 2009
  10. hey we both scored a 37, man. :cool:

#180     Jan 18, 2009