'Idiot-Savant' Traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rearden Metal, Apr 1, 2006.

'Idiot-Savant' Test: www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html How'd you score?

1. Under 12 (Diplomat)

20 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 13-25 (Pretty normal)

118 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. 26-31 (Almost there, but not quite)

84 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. 32-40 (Looks like I might be one...)

45 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. 41-50 (Rain Man)

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Wasn't able to finish the Davinci method book either.

Some great ideas, but some incredible screwups too.

I am just about to finish "How to get Rich" by Felix Dennis. Got my 2thumbs up big time.

This is a book worth reading. In his book he relates a stage in his life in which he drank the finest wines, snored the finest coke, banged the finest whores and ate the finest meats and cheeses.....

(does anybody here know anybody like that? lol)

nowadays he only drinks the finest wines.... =)

Great book.

#161     Oct 1, 2006
  2. High functioning autistic, my ass.
    I knew that label didn't quite fit right. I just had never heard the <b>correct</b> term for what I am, until stumbling upon it last night on a rented 'Prison Break' DVD:

Sara: What did you treat him for?
    Dr. Brighton: Well Michael suffered from a couple of things. One was a condition called <b>low latent inhibition.</b>
    Sara: Sorry, I’m not familiar with the term.
    Dr. Brighton: Well, people who suffer from low latent inhibition see every day things just like you or I do, like this lamp for instance. But where we just process the image of a lamp, they process everything. The stem, the bulb, the bolts, even the washers inside. Their brains are more open to incoming stimuli in the surrounding environment. Other people’s brains – yours and mine – shut out the same information. We have to do it, in order to keep our sanity. If someone with a low IQ has low latent inhibition, it almost always results in mental illness. But, if someone has a high IQ, it almost always results in creative genius.

Good to know... finally. Is anyone else here LLI, or is it just me?
    I'm going to learn a lot more about LLI over the weekend.
    Plenty of reading to do...

#162     Oct 13, 2006
  3. Dude, thats just a new label for old stuff.

The x ray vision is'nt helpfull if you dont know what the hell your doing, you know?

This "way" of seeing things isnt defined by personality type/brain function as such, its a staple of most yogic traditions.

Why do you need to be unique, to search for labels for yourself? Another poster described you as a "freak", isnt that unique enough?:D

#163     Oct 13, 2006
  4. Nattdog

Nattdog

really no need for new labels.

Truely creative people always have had a different view, ability and style... an d usually a different, more radical temperment as well.

Pretending this is a new discovery, or needs new labels. well, that is sad.

What % of the population is able to have a completely self generated thought or insight? Plodding along and following instructions is all most know.

If u don't fit that model.. well, U could have ADD or any number of diseases, u could have "lowlatentmumbofuck".

For some, the only way life works is if it is carried out according to their vision and by their will. If u sympathise, perhaps find those like you to associate with.. and stop defining by majority opinions.

#164     Oct 13, 2006
  5. Bonpara

Bonpara

Agree: 2,4,6,7,9,12,16,19,20,21,22,23,26,33,35,39,41,42,43,45,46: 1 point
    Disagree: 1,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,29,30,31,32,34,36,37,38,40,44,47,48,50: 1 point
    Score: 44

should i be worried? lol

#165     Oct 13, 2006
  6. I've just found a concise three-word term to describe something about myself that previously took a few paragraphs of explanation. This is obviously useful to me.

The only thing 'sad' here is your post.

#166     Oct 14, 2006
  7. Nattdog

Nattdog

I am glad you found something useful. I have read that increasing specificity of labels is a sign knowledge is increasing, as more subtle classification is possible. maybe that is true here. Plus, regardless of label it perhaps some new ideas there that increase self understanding, which seems to be the case.

My opinion though, is that there is a "label of the month" for things like this, and, well, in the end most fall flat disolving into mumbojumbo.

#167     Oct 14, 2006
  8. I scored 16, how incredibly boring.

#168     Oct 14, 2006

9. Hahaha. Reading the first part of your post I just knew that your beef would be that the book made references to God/theism/mysticism. Just knew it. :)

#169     Oct 14, 2006
  10. Yes, let's subsitute the sort of scientific investigation that has proven itself profitable in countless ways for some mystical yogi 'wisdom'. Great idea.

#170     Oct 14, 2006