Identifying trend

Discussion in 'Trading' started by farmerjohn1324, Feb 12, 2020.

1. I think sentiment is a better word. And world events definitely affect sentiment.

#81     Feb 15, 2020
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

EVENTS affect sentiment, AFTER the fact.

Tell us what you DON'T know. You can't do it!!

#82     Feb 15, 2020
  3. Yea after the fact. That's what I said too.

First comes the event, then comes the sentiment.

#83     Feb 15, 2020
  4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

WRONG!!

Then comes the PERCEIVED confirmation of existing, or change of.

Have you witnessed where good news is bad and bad news is good?
    Or when buy the rumor sell the fact failed?

#84     Feb 15, 2020
  5. I've never witnessed how major good/bad news worked in the opposite direction.

I've only seen where it was overshadowed by something else.

#85     Feb 15, 2020
  6. yc47ib

yc47ib

My way is simple, having two accounts, one keeps doing longs as my long indicators tell me; other keep shorting as my short indicators tell me; after some time, the losing money one is wrong, play heavy on the right side, this normally last to the end of the trading session, baring unforeseeable events, well some days unforeseeable events are few for the last hour of trading, and market does sometimes change direction the last hour of trading, but not very often, do not play too big then.

#86     Feb 15, 2020
  7. Care to describe your indicators?

#87     Feb 15, 2020
  8. bone

bone

Government news releases have very little impact on current modern markets with very few - even rare, exceptions. Private sector analysts do an exceptional job of shadowing government economics statistical data collection.

In Europe, the ECB actually leaks economic data to big banks (the ZEW Index and the Bundesbank is a great example) days in advance of the public release.

When I traded Commercial Energy, we had two private Meteorological Firms on retainer - we got met data hours or days before the NOAA or Accuweather released it. If Byron Units 1&2 tripped offline - I ran over half of the Houston Desks and had myself covered and sitting pretty before I let our PR Department release a news statement.

To think that a public news release is the definitive genesis of information is truly naive.

#88     Feb 15, 2020
    themickey likes this.
  9. I never even said this.

You're putting words in my mouth, then arguing with things I never said.

I said "news" meaning events. Never did I say the 6 o'clock evening news or CNBC.

Btw, that's why data releases move price most when they differ from the expectation.

#89     Feb 15, 2020
  10. _eug_

_eug_

If historical highs and lows have no impact on current pricing... Why is Natural Gas reacting to a level from 2016?

#90     Feb 18, 2020